>From the "Micro-BLISS User's Guide" dated Jan. 81.:

"Micro-BLISS is a subset of BLISS-16. The BLISS-16 compiler is a
cross-compiler; that is, it executes on a VAX-11, a DECsystem-10, or a
DECsystem-20, but compiles code for the PDP-11. The Micro-BLISS compiler
is a native compiler, which runs on a PDP-11 with the RSX-11M operating
system and compiles code for the same machine."

Pete

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-info-pdp11@village.org [mailtowner-info-pdp11@village.org]
On Behalf Of Johnny Billquist
Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 2004 1:05 PM
To: Eric Smith
Cc: info-pdp11@village.org
Subject: RE: PDP11 configurator/website idea

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Eric Smith wrote:

> Johnny wrote:
>> Bliss-11 might have been TOPS-10. Bliss-16 ran on VMS unless I
>> remember incorrectly. There have never been a native Bliss compiler
>> for PDP-11.

> I wasn't sure about Bliss 16, but I thought the uBliss compiler ran on

> the 11? If not, what was the point of it?

I'm sorry, but I've never heard of uBliss. Where can you find that one?

I know that DEC never had a Bliss compiler for the PDP-11 that ran
natively. Which is a minor headache for RSX, since the file name parse
directive is written in BLISS. That has to be compiled on VMS, which
produces MACRO-11 code, that is transported over to the RSX system,
where
it can be compiled along with the rest of the kernel at a sysgen.

I also happen to have some Bliss manuals somewhere, which covered
differences and similarities between BLISS-16, BLISS-32 and BLISS-36.
(Long time since I looked, but the same manual covered all of them I
think, and the pocket reference was definitely for all of them.)

Johnny

Johnny Billquist || "I'm on a bus