Re: Old Unibus PDP-11 XXDP diagnostics - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Old Unibus PDP-11 XXDP diagnostics - VMS ; On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 08:27, Ashley Carder wrote: > Does anyone have any info/documentation on the XXDP diagnostics for > older PDP-11 systems and peripherals? I'm looking in particular for > the 11/40 (11/35), RK05, DZ11, RL02, MM11 core memory, ...

  1. Re: Old Unibus PDP-11 XXDP diagnostics

    On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 08:27, Ashley Carder wrote:
    > Does anyone have any info/documentation on the XXDP diagnostics for
    > older PDP-11 systems and peripherals? I'm looking in particular for
    > the 11/40 (11/35), RK05, DZ11, RL02, MM11 core memory, RX01, RL01
    > diagnostics. I have found some info on Henk's site, but would like to
    > know if anyone has a comprehensive list and hints on how to run these,
    > what the output means, how to answer the prompts, etc.
    >
    > I have created RL02 packs with XXDP 2.5 and XXDP 2.2 and I can boot
    > and run stuff from these packs. It appears that the 11/40 diagnostics
    > are on XXDP 2.2, but not on XXDP 2.5. I have an old 1976 DEC field
    > rep troubleshooting guide that refers to various MAINDECs, which seem
    > to have been the diagnostics prior to XXDP. Is there a list somewhere
    > showing what the XXDP equivalents of the old MAINDECs are?

    OK, the "magic decoder ring" for converting the MAINDECs to XXDP names
    is quite simple. The MAINDEC # is of the form:
    MAINDEC-11-Dxxxx-*

    To convert this to the XXDP diagnostic name keep only the xxxx part of
    the MAINDEC #. To run it, do:
    R xxxx??

    The first letter in the diagnostic name tells you what processor it's
    for. If I remember correctly C=11/40, Z=any

    There's a document that tells all about it (but I can't remember where I
    found it at the moment).

    The pack images that you're talking about don't have the correct memory
    diagnostic, but I've found that ZMSDD0 (wow! from memory...can you tell
    I've used it a bunch?) works OK enough to be able to find bad memory and
    you'll know when you hit bad memory. I've also found that having a
    hardcopy terminal is preferable to a CRT when you're getting failures.

    If a diagnostic loads and then gives you a prompt like "DB>", START is a
    good choice as a response.

    --

    TTFN - Guy

  2. Re: Old Unibus PDP-11 XXDP diagnostics

    Guy Sotomayor schrieb:
    > On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 08:27, Ashley Carder wrote:
    >
    >>Does anyone have any info/documentation on the XXDP diagnostics for
    >>older PDP-11 systems and peripherals? I'm looking in particular for
    >>the 11/40 (11/35), RK05, DZ11, RL02, MM11 core memory, RX01, RL01
    >>diagnostics. I have found some info on Henk's site, but would like to
    >>know if anyone has a comprehensive list and hints on how to run these,
    >>what the output means, how to answer the prompts, etc.
    >>
    >>I have created RL02 packs with XXDP 2.5 and XXDP 2.2 and I can boot
    >>and run stuff from these packs. It appears that the 11/40 diagnostics
    >>are on XXDP 2.2, but not on XXDP 2.5. I have an old 1976 DEC field
    >>rep troubleshooting guide that refers to various MAINDECs, which seem
    >>to have been the diagnostics prior to XXDP. Is there a list somewhere
    >>showing what the XXDP equivalents of the old MAINDECs are?

    > OK, the "magic decoder ring" for converting the MAINDECs to XXDP names
    > is quite simple. The MAINDEC # is of the form:
    > MAINDEC-11-Dxxxx-*
    >
    > To convert this to the XXDP diagnostic name keep only the xxxx part of
    > the MAINDEC #. To run it, do:
    > R xxxx??
    >
    > The first letter in the diagnostic name tells you what processor it's
    > for. If I remember correctly C=11/40, Z=any
    >
    > There's a document that tells all about it (but I can't remember where I
    > found it at the moment).

    I think it is in the xxdp help-file, or some other textfile in the xxdp
    package. (but not on the floppy-distributions due to space restrictions)
    From my memory: the filenames have following significance:

    POONRL where:

    P = processor as stated above

    OO = option designator (MS = Memory, RK = RK05 ect.)

    N = Program number (a-z) if there is more than 1 test for this option

    R = Revision (a-z) (to run whatever there is on disk, use wildcard ?)

    L = patchLevel (0-9) (to run whatever there is on disk, use wildcard ?)

    Good luck,

    Frank

+ Reply to Thread