    From: owner-info-pdp11@village.org [mailtowner-info-pdp11@village.org]
    On Behalf Of toby
    Sent: Friday, December 17, 2004 5:29 PM
    To: info-pdp11@village.org
    Subject: Re: PDP11 configurator/website idea

    An expert system trained by the experts. Brilliant idea.

  2. Re: PDP11 configurator/website idea

    On 2004-12-20, McCollum, Peter wrote:

    > In about the late 80's, DEC had a configurator expert system that was
    > used by sales and F.S. folks (as I recall).
    > I think it was done in OPS-5.

    .... R1/XCON?...

    [snip]...

    broe
    --
    ---
    broe@atzeundbolle.de

  3. RE: PDP11 configurator/website idea

    McCollum, Peter wrote:

    > In about the late 80's, DEC had a configurator expert system that was
    > used by sales and F.S. folks (as I recall).
    > I think it was done in OPS-5.

    Well, maybe everybody has already known it, that SimH has a autoconfig()
    subroutine to configure the system for you.

    vax, 9000

    > Pete

  4. Re: PDP11 configurator/website idea

    Exactly...it often went by the shortened name, XCON (eXpert
    CONfigurator), R1, if I recall correctly, was the earliest prototype
    till the name morphed...
    John

    Burkhard Hennig wrote:

    > On 2004-12-20, McCollum, Peter wrote:
    >

    >>In about the late 80's, DEC had a configurator expert system that was
    >>used by sales and F.S. folks (as I recall).
    >>I think it was done in OPS-5.

    > ... R1/XCON?...
    >
    > [snip]...
    >
    > broe

  5. Re: PDP11 configurator/website idea

    Hello John,

    On 2004-12-21, John Hudak wrote:
    > Exactly...it often went by the shortened name, XCON (eXpert
    > CONfigurator), R1, if I recall correctly, was the earliest prototype
    > till the name morphed...
    > John
    >

    > Burkhard Hennig wrote:

    [snip]...

    >> ... R1/XCON?...

    ....initially developed as a protoype (ca. 500 rules) by John McDermott 1979
    of CMU, called R1, where you come from, right?
    Can you paraphrase "till the name morphed"? My english is not enough

    broe
    --
    ---
    broe@atzeundbolle.de