Re: Licensing/Media question - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Licensing/Media question - VMS ; On Fri, 26 Nov 2004, paramucho wrote: > On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 00:15:55 -0500, "Douglas A. Gwyn" > wrote: > >> Toby Thain wrote: >>> As for gcc to PDP-11, hasn't that been done? [ >> >> No, only ...

  1. Re: Licensing/Media question

    On Fri, 26 Nov 2004, paramucho wrote:

    > On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 00:15:55 -0500, "Douglas A. Gwyn"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Toby Thain wrote:
    >>> As for gcc to PDP-11, hasn't that been done? [

    >> No, only a cross-compiler. GCC itself is too big.
    >> Perhaps with overlays it could fit, but since it
    >> wasn't designed with overlaying in mind that is
    >> doubtful.

    > The only solution would be to create a virtual 32-bit machine with a
    > PDP-11 engine. It would be amazingly slow...

    Very slow. I wonder which 32-bitter would be the "best" to implement...

    >> In my spare time I've been working on getting my
    >> version of Ritchie's C compiler ported (to an
    >> arbitrary conforming host). Unfortunately it had
    >> some code that depended on the host being a PDP-11,
    >> so there is a bit of work involved.

    > I ported the V7 compiler to one of my PDP-11 operating systems last
    > year, but I did it by creating a general runtime environment Unix V7
    > programs (all in about about 2kw of MACRO). My goal was to compare it
    > with the Whitesmiths and DECUS-C compilers. In the end I decided to go
    > with DECUS-C for my development purposes but I still have my eye on
    > the associated F77 compiler.

    For F77, DEC's own F77-compiler would be very hard to beat. It's pretty
    good at optimizing, and is a very good F77 implementation. And it have all
    the libraries for both FCS and RMS already implemented, and a lot of DEC
    extensions to both F77, and for I/O stuff.

    Johnny

    Johnny Billquist || "I'm on a bus
    || on a psychedelic trip

  2. Re: Licensing/Media question

    On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 11:29:49 +0100 (CET), Johnny Billquist
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 26 Nov 2004, paramucho wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 00:15:55 -0500, "Douglas A. Gwyn"
    >> wrote:

    >>> No, only a cross-compiler. GCC itself is too big.
    >>> Perhaps with overlays it could fit, but since it
    >>> wasn't designed with overlaying in mind that is
    >>> doubtful.

    >> The only solution would be to create a virtual 32-bit machine with a
    >> PDP-11 engine. It would be amazingly slow...

    >Very slow. I wonder which 32-bitter would be the "best" to implement...

    Probably a purpose-built virtual machine for which one would then
    write a GCC backend, i.e. more like C# MSIL or a Java engine. Indeed,
    polish code would be faster than emulation of any machine.

+ Reply to Thread