Have you seen what kind of power the average well-equipped PC draws? It's
rediculous! The graphics FPU cards pull HUGE amounts of power. Today's PCs
are set up with near 500-watt PSUs for good reason - those graphics cards
are power hogs, not to mention they put any PDP but an 11/70 to shame for
heat generation!

I'll probably only have one RL disk running, but I'm working on getting a
SCSI setup for the -11 (yes I know they're expensive) but I'd really like to
not have to use it.

Besides all that, it's just me in my apartment. The only things that run
24/7 right now are the clocks, fridge, and my Sun Ultra 5, which draws
barely anything due to it running headless in text console mode.

My PC, when it's running a 3D screensaver, draws over 400 watts. I'll have
to figure it out in Kilowatt hours, but it ain't cheap! It's got 4 fans in
it to keep the heat off the graphics card.

Does an RL02 use up more power running than a box fan? Motors are about the
same size, and I can't believe the heads pull that much power.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Julian Wolfe
Help Desk and Macintosh Technician
College of Lake County
Tel: 847-543-2258