Re: UPS devices for PDP11 - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: UPS devices for PDP11 - VMS ; >In article , > "Zane H. Healy" writes: >>> The system will be running 24/7 as I'll be accessing it from work a lot of >>> the time. (via serial line from my Sun machine) >> >> Have you factored ...

  1. Re: UPS devices for PDP11

    >In article <200411231913.iANJDVKU002300@onyx.spiritone.com>,
    > "Zane H. Healy" writes:
    >>> The system will be running 24/7 as I'll be accessing it from work a lot of
    >>> the time. (via serial line from my Sun machine)

    >> Have you factored in the cost of running a PDP-11 24/7? That is a
    >> significant amount of electricity you are talking about using. Thereis also
    >> all the heat generated to be taken into consideration.

    >I guess it depends on the model, but most Qbus PDP-11's draw less power
    >than the amount wasted by a wife or kids. Ever look at how much a
    >curling iron draws? Ever add up how many watts all those lights your
    >kids leave on total up to? And none of my Qbus systems generate as much
    >heat as much heat as a 17" monitor. I believe this is what is called
    >a red herring. :-)

    It also depends on what steps you've take to reduce power usage.
    I've found that just turning off one computer has a definite effect
    on our power bill. As for the light issue, that's what compact
    fluorescent's are for.

    The big thing to consider is this, the /23 he's talking about won't
    draw a lot of power, but how much will the two RL02 drives he's
    talking about using? I don't have the manual handy, but IIRC, it's
    no small amount. My /73 is in a BA123, but probably draws less power
    than the average PC, BUT I'm using 3 1/2" SCSI drives, that draw a
    lot less power than the old 5 1/4" full Height drives I used to use,
    or my RAxx or RL0x drives.

    > > Take a look into running an emulator on a Mini-ITX Linux box if

    >you feel the
    > > need to have it up 24/7.

    >Other than the fact that an emulator lacks all the character of a real
    >PDP-11, I wouldn't wish Linux on my worst enemy. The only thing worse
    >is MS.

    Depends on if you're interested in the Hardware, Software, or both.
    If you're interested in just the software, the emulator *IS* the
    better choice in most cases.

    As for Linux, choose the right tool for the right job. For many
    things Linux is an excellent tool. When setting up a system for
    emulation, Linux or Windows are the best choices (though for PDP-8
    emulation, the Mac is the best choice). You might have time to mess
    around getting everything to work on some other OS, but most of us
    don't.

    Zane

  2. Re: UPS devices for PDP11

    Zane H. Healy wrote:
    >... When setting up a system for emulation,
    > Linux or Windows are the best choices (though for PDP-8 emulation, the
    > Mac is the best choice). You might have time to mess around getting
    > everything to work on some other OS, but most of us don't.

    Actually SIMH works "out of the box" on numerous
    platforms. I generally use it on Solaris.

+ Reply to Thread