Re: UPS devices for PDP11 - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: UPS devices for PDP11 - VMS ; > The system will be running 24/7 as I'll be accessing it from work a lot of > the time. (via serial line from my Sun machine) Have you factored in the cost of running a PDP-11 24/7? That is ...

  1. Re: UPS devices for PDP11

    > The system will be running 24/7 as I'll be accessing it from work a lot of
    > the time. (via serial line from my Sun machine)

    Have you factored in the cost of running a PDP-11 24/7? That is a
    significant amount of electricity you are talking about using. Thereis also
    all the heat generated to be taken into consideration.

    Take a look into running an emulator on a Mini-ITX Linux box if you feel the
    need to have it up 24/7.

    Zane

  2. Re: UPS devices for PDP11

    In article <200411231913.iANJDVKU002300@onyx.spiritone.com>,
    "Zane H. Healy" writes:
    >> The system will be running 24/7 as I'll be accessing it from work a lot of
    >> the time. (via serial line from my Sun machine)

    > Have you factored in the cost of running a PDP-11 24/7? That is a
    > significant amount of electricity you are talking about using. Thereis also
    > all the heat generated to be taken into consideration.

    I guess it depends on the model, but most Qbus PDP-11's draw less power
    than the amount wasted by a wife or kids. Ever look at how much a
    curling iron draws? Ever add up how many watts all those lights your
    kids leave on total up to? And none of my Qbus systems generate as much
    heat as much heat as a 17" monitor. I believe this is what is called
    a red herring. :-)

    > Take a look into running an emulator on a Mini-ITX Linux box if you feel the
    > need to have it up 24/7.

    Other than the fact that an emulator lacks all the character of a real
    PDP-11, I wouldn't wish Linux on my worst enemy. The only thing worse
    is MS.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include