RE: UPS devices for PDP11 - VMS

This is a discussion on RE: UPS devices for PDP11 - VMS ; > > Anyhow, when power is lost to an RL02, it will retract the > heads anyway. > That's part of the design, and it works with no power to the > disk. That's what those capacitors in the drive ...

  1. RE: UPS devices for PDP11

    > Anyhow, when power is lost to an RL02, it will retract the
    > heads anyway.
    > That's part of the design, and it works with no power to the
    > disk. That's what those capacitors in the drive is for (partially).
    > An RK05 might have caused you bigger worries. It have the
    > same feature, but there it's powered by batteries.
    >
    > > The system will be running 24/7 as I'll be accessing it from work a
    > > lot of the time. (via serial line from my Sun machine)

    > No problemo, I'd say.
    >
    > You have supplies sturdy enough to smooth out power glitches,
    > and to save themself if you remove power.

    Thank you! And moving on...
    So, what exactly were the battery backup modules for? I see some listed for
    UNIBUS machines (11/44, 11/84)
    Is this to keep the memory contents of the CPU only?

  2. RE: UPS devices for PDP11

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Julian Wolfe wrote:

    > So, what exactly were the battery backup modules for? I see some
    > listed for UNIBUS machines (11/44, 11/84)

    > Is this to keep the memory contents of the CPU only?

    Exactly!

    --

    Rob Brown b r o w n a t g m c l d o t c o m
    G. Michaels Consulting Ltd. (866)438-2101 (voice) toll free!

  3. Re: UPS devices for PDP11

    In article <200411231651.iANGpZVY009185@schizoid.village.org>,
    "Julian Wolfe" writes:

    > Thank you! And moving on...
    > So, what exactly were the battery backup modules for? I see some listed for
    > UNIBUS machines (11/44, 11/84)
    > Is this to keep the memory contents of the CPU only?

    That's what the ones inmy 11/44's would do if I actually had batteries.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  4. Re: UPS devices for PDP11

    Julian Wolfe wrote:
    > So, what exactly were the battery backup modules for?

    To preserve the contents of MOS main memory (RAM).
    Core-based machines didn't need battery backup.

+ Reply to Thread