RE: Modern disk system for our -11s - VMS

This is a discussion on RE: Modern disk system for our -11s - VMS ; "McCollum, Peter" wrote: |From my point of view, the goal is to make something that emulates a |standard disk device, so that existing SW can be used with it. |Some obvious choices are: |RL01/RL02 |MSCP device, such as RQDX. |RX01/RX02 ...

  1. RE: Modern disk system for our -11s

    "McCollum, Peter" wrote:

    |From my point of view, the goal is to make something that emulates a
    |standard disk device, so that existing SW can be used with it.
    |Some obvious choices are:
    |RL01/RL02
    |MSCP device, such as RQDX.
    |RX01/RX02

    As always, I vote for RM02/05 because they combine reasonable standard sizes
    with support in older operating system releases. Historically it seemed to
    be possible to emulate an RH11 without too much fuss while MSCP emulations
    were in perpetual need of tweaking and upgrades.

    Dan Lanciani
    ddl@danlan.*com

  2. Re: Modern disk system for our -11s

    If you're willing to use MSCP, which is supported in
    later versions of PDP-11 OSes, then the obvious
    solution seems to me to use a Qbus/Unibus controller
    that supports MSCP on the PDP-11 side and SCSI on
    the disk side. Such controllers have of course been
    marketed in the past.. With modern SCSI chips there
    shouldn't be much problem in coming up with a viable
    design.

  3. Re: Modern disk system for our -11s

    test