From: owner-info-pdp11@village.org [mailtowner-info-pdp11@village.org]
On Behalf Of Eric Smith
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2004 3:54 PM
To: info-pdp11@village.org
Subject: Re: Modern disk system for our -11s

Zane Healy wrote:
> How good is the long term life of flash? I agree flash sounds like a
> good solution, I'm just concerned about it wearing out, and then
> you're left with what would be at that point a basically unreplacable
> part.

And in what way is that situation any different than hard drives or
optical drives? No matter what you use, you need to make backups of
your data, because the drive and/or medium WILL fail at some point. When
it does fail, the fact that you have a backup of the data is MUCH more
important than whether you can get an exact replacement for the drive.
This is true regardless of whether the proposed PDP-11 storage system is
self-contained or is just an interface to a PC (Ethernet or otherwise).

That said, there's every reason to believe that flash memory will last
MUCH longer than electromechanical disk drives (magnetic or optical).

Eric