Re: How do I make a bootable tape? - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: How do I make a bootable tape? - VMS ; On Wed, 12 May 2004, John Welch wrote: > I run RSX on an 11/34. Until a few weeks ago, I had a bootable tape > that had written on the side of it "backup.sys" It quit booting, > probablly ...

  1. Re: How do I make a bootable tape?

    On Wed, 12 May 2004, John Welch wrote:

    > I run RSX on an 11/34. Until a few weeks ago, I had a bootable tape
    > that had written on the side of it "backup.sys" It quit booting,
    > probablly from something I did, but anyway, I want to make another.
    >
    > Hopefully someone remembers the sequence of commands.

    HELP BRU STANDALONE

    Or, to quote to most relevant part of that:

    ===
    To create a hardware-bootable, standalone BRU tape from the distribution
    disk, use the Virtual Monitor Console Routine (VMR) to save the system
    image to tape as follows:

    >MOU MT:/FOR
    >SET /UIC=[6,54]
    >ASN SY:=LB:
    >RUN VMRM48

    ENTER FILENAME: BRUSYS
    VMR>SAVE MT:BRUSYS
    VMR>CTRL/Z

    This tape contains a hardware-bootable image of the standalone BRU system.

    ===

    Johnny

    Johnny Billquist || "I'm on a bus
    || on a psychedelic trip

  2. Re: How do I make a bootable tape?

    Johnny Billquist wrote in message news:...
    > On Wed, 12 May 2004, John Welch wrote:

    [...]
    > >MOU MT:/FOR
    > >SET /UIC=[6,54]
    > >ASN SY:=LB:
    > >RUN VMRM48

    > ENTER FILENAME: BRUSYS
    > VMR>SAVE MT:BRUSYS
    > VMR>CTRL/Z
    >
    > This tape contains a hardware-bootable image of the standalone BRU system.

    My system does not have vmrm48 or a [6,54], but it does have vmr.
    Also, it has backup.sys and rsx11m.sys all in 1,54 and in 1,154 there
    is a diag.sys.
    I made tape from vmr and backup.sys and that boots fine on the 11/34.

    Once I confirmed that the backup.sys tape would boot on the 11/34 I
    fed it to the 11/44. It started booting, printed stuff on the screen
    saying that it was Backup.sys and some other stuff like who made it,
    all stuff seen when booting on the 11/34. Then it crashed. poot.

    But, I have a backup system on tape. And I know that there is hope of
    getting the 44 up should I find some kind soul that would put BSD on a
    tape for me. (I will front a tape, pay shipping, and will throw in
    several boxes of Girl Scout Cookies)

    Thanks,
    John Welch

  3. Re: How do I make a bootable tape?

    Johnny Billquist wrote in message news:...
    > On Wed, 12 May 2004, John Welch wrote:

    [...]
    > >MOU MT:/FOR
    > >SET /UIC=[6,54]
    > >ASN SY:=LB:
    > >RUN VMRM48

    > ENTER FILENAME: BRUSYS
    > VMR>SAVE MT:BRUSYS
    > VMR>CTRL/Z
    >
    > This tape contains a hardware-bootable image of the standalone BRU system.

    My system does not have vmrm48 or a [6,54], but it does have vmr.
    Also, it has backup.sys and rsx11m.sys all in 1,54 and in 1,154 there
    is a diag.sys.
    I made tape from vmr and backup.sys and that boots fine on the 11/34.

    Once I confirmed that the backup.sys tape would boot on the 11/34 I
    fed it to the 11/44. It started booting, printed stuff on the screen
    saying that it was Backup.sys and some other stuff like who made it,
    all stuff seen when booting on the 11/34. Then it crashed. poot.

    But, I have a backup system on tape. And I know that there is hope of
    getting the 44 up should I find some kind soul that would put BSD on a
    tape for me. (I will front a tape, pay shipping, and will throw in
    several boxes of Girl Scout Cookies)

    Thanks,
    John Welch

  4. Re: How do I make a bootable tape?

    For an 11M system, the answer is the following; (provided it is past 11M
    V4.1), since it is an 11/34 ...

    >SET /UIC=[1,51]
    >RUN $VMR

    Enter filename: BRUSYS.SYS (or BRU64K.SYS)
    VMR>SAV Mx:BRUSYS (where Mx: is the tape drive)

    -Dave

    John Welch wrote:
    > Johnny Billquist wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 12 May 2004, John Welch wrote:
    >>

    > [...]
    >>
    >> >MOU MT:/FOR
    >> >SET /UIC=[6,54]
    >> >ASN SY:=LB:
    >> >RUN VMRM48

    >> ENTER FILENAME: BRUSYS
    >>> SAVE MT:BRUSYS
    >>> CTRL/Z

    >> This tape contains a hardware-bootable image of the standalone
    >> BRU system.

    > My system does not have vmrm48 or a [6,54], but it does have vmr.
    > Also, it has backup.sys and rsx11m.sys all in 1,54 and in 1,154 there
    > is a diag.sys.
    > I made tape from vmr and backup.sys and that boots fine on the 11/34.
    >
    > Once I confirmed that the backup.sys tape would boot on the 11/34 I
    > fed it to the 11/44. It started booting, printed stuff on the screen
    > saying that it was Backup.sys and some other stuff like who made it,
    > all stuff seen when booting on the 11/34. Then it crashed. poot.
    >
    > But, I have a backup system on tape. And I know that there is hope of
    > getting the 44 up should I find some kind soul that would put BSD on a
    > tape for me. (I will front a tape, pay shipping, and will throw in
    > several boxes of Girl Scout Cookies)
    >
    > Thanks,
    > John Welch

+ Reply to Thread