Re: Trying to get 11/44 running - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Trying to get 11/44 running - VMS ; On Tue, 4 May 2004, John Welch wrote: > Greetings. > > I purchased a very nice 11/44 on ebay and I need some help getting it > running. It has lots of memory, a 9trac tape, an RL02 and ...

  1. Re: Trying to get 11/44 running

    On Tue, 4 May 2004, John Welch wrote:

    > Greetings.
    >
    > I purchased a very nice 11/44 on ebay and I need some help getting it
    > running. It has lots of memory, a 9trac tape, an RL02 and a 3 hundred
    > meg CDC drive. It also has a big whopper power cable that has a 50
    > amp three phase plug. Luckly, I have a wall socket available (that
    > used to feed a vax, another story) that it plugs into.

    Fun.

    Okay. The small, white, three-pronged plastic things are the power bus.
    It's meant to be used to remote power on and off everything from a central
    point, as well as make it possible to emergency shutdown the system.

    The two outlets on the right and six or so on the left are the sockets
    where you should connect your equipment. If you look, the two are probably
    marked "Unswitched" and the other group is marked "Switched". This means
    that those the two "unswitched" outlets are not controlled by the power
    bus, but the switched outlets are.
    Second, you probably have a small switch somewhere around there, which can
    be placed in three positions. On is off, the other is permanent on, and
    the third is to enable the power bus.

    The power bus should originate in the CPU box, and after that go to the
    power distrubution. If you have several cabinets, the power bus should the
    continue to the next, and so on. That's why you have several connectors on
    the power distribution.

    The CPU-box itself should probably be connected to an unswitched outlet,
    but I think it might work on a switched outlet as well.

    But you can also just ignore the whole power bus thing, and turn
    everything on and off by itself.

    Why the RL02 should turn off because you turn on the CPU is however beyond
    me.

    Johnny

    Johnny Billquist || "I'm on a bus
    || on a psychedelic trip

  2. Re: Trying to get 11/44 running

    Johnny Billquist wrote in message
    [...]
    > Fun.

    [...]
    > pdp is alive! || tryin' to stay hip" - B. Idol

    Rodger, copy that.
    The CDC drives are FSD type. I will put pictures on the web this
    weekend.
    They just sit there and stare at me. If I poke the start button they
    spin up.
    The RL02 "ready" light comes on. I put in a pack and poke ready
    button, ready light goes out, nothing else happens, no other light
    come on.
    Tape drive comes on but the 'unload' and the 'high density' lights
    blink rapidlly.

    I plug wire marked 'console' into a null modem and connect that to a
    vt100, dink with the baud rate and I get intelligle writing on the
    screen!
    it prints out two numbers, then 'console' and then >>>
    I tried lots of stuff, mostly after playing musical chairs with the
    wires going into the FSD drives, but anyway, I typed thusly:
    >>> b dl

    In a minute or so I have XXDP up! Blew me into the weeds, man!

    If anyone can point me to an XXDP primer that would be great.
    If anyone has *nix of a freely distributable type and and RL02 I will
    happilly mail you a blank pak if you will put something bootable on it
    that I could use for playing around with.
    More later

  3. Re: Trying to get 11/44 running

    John Welch wrote:
    > The CDC drives are FSD type. ...

    The interesting thing is what controller they are
    attached to. If it is an Emulex controller, the
    model number is indicated on the big ROM chip on
    the controller. Emulex controllers (like some
    other third-party PDP-11 controllers) emulate a
    DEC controller; just which one is determined by
    the ROM. There is a good chance that it is MSCP
    protocol, aka DEC "RA" series drives, in which
    case newer releases of most PDP-11 OSes will
    support the disks with no special patches. For
    emulations of older DEC disk controllers, e.g.
    RP11, sometimes patches were needed to support
    the full disk capacity.

    > If anyone can point me to an XXDP primer that would be great.

    http://users.safeaccess.com/engdahl/xxdp.htm
    has links to XXDP documentation, such as it is.
    http://bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/pdp11/X...srManApr82.pdf
    is a scan of an XXDP user manual.
    Note that there are several versions of XXDP and XXDP+,
    so the documentation might not exactly match your copy.

    > If anyone has *nix of a freely distributable type and and RL02 I will
    > happilly mail you a blank pak if you will put something bootable on it
    > that I could use for playing around with.

    I hope to eventually be able to do that, in particular
    the BRL/JHU PDP-11 Unix (not currently available from
    anywhere so far as I have been able to determine) but
    will not ready to do so for quite some time, perhaps
    not until I retire a few years hence.

    http://ftp.gcu-squad.org/tuhs/PDP-11/Distributions/
    has downloadable images of various Unix distributions
    (including RL02 images of 6th Edition Unix, which
    is historically interesting but not really as pleasant
    to use as later Unix versions). Unix was usually
    distributed as bootable magtape, containing several
    files, the first of which was often a small standalone
    shell with just enough capability to organize disks
    and extract archives to disk from further tape files.
    You could transfer the boot program image from a copy
    on a PC to PDP-11 disk or memory over a serial line
    connection using one of the various programs like
    "vtserver". At least one such program emulates a
    TU58 (DECtape II), which is directly supported by
    several late-model PDP-11 bootstrap modules.
    Use Google to locate these and other PDP-11 resources..

  4. Re: Trying to get 11/44 running

    "Douglas A. Gwyn" wrote in message news:...
    > John Welch wrote:
    > > The CDC drives are FSD type. ...

    > The interesting thing is what controller they are
    > attached to. If it is an Emulex controller, the
    > model number is indicated on the big ROM chip on
    > the controller. Emulex controllers (like some
    > other third-party PDP-11 controllers) emulate a
    > DEC controller; just which one is determined by
    > the ROM. There is a good chance that it is MSCP
    > protocol, aka DEC "RA" series drives, in which
    > case newer releases of most PDP-11 OSes will
    > support the disks with no special patches. For
    > emulations of older DEC disk controllers, e.g.
    > RP11, sometimes patches were needed to support
    > the full disk capacity.

    It is an Emulex, the docucumentation (I remembered that I know how to
    read) mentions patches for RSX and RSTS
    [...]
    > http://ftp.gcu-squad.org/tuhs/PDP-11/Distributions/
    > has downloadable images of various Unix distributions
    > (including RL02 images of 6th Edition Unix, which
    > is historically interesting but not really as pleasant
    > to use as later Unix versions). Unix was usually
    > distributed as bootable magtape, containing several

    Now we get to the part about the mag tape drive. This guy came with a
    "Cipher F880" microstream tape drive. It is beeing a poot face about
    then I read how to make that quit by holding down 'test' while turning
    it on. Then I got to where it will try to load the tape, but it hangs
    up on first one thing then another. I am hoping that someone will
    tell me that it just needs cleaning, or a belt, or that they are dirt
    cheep somewhere.

    REAL GOOD NEWS (tm) !!!

    I have 2 (two) RL02 packs with RSTS 9, one with RSTS 7, and the XXDP
    pack came back to life. Also, I replaced the ready light so I can
    tell what is up there.

  5. Re: Trying to get 11/44 running

    jcwelch@hal-pc.org (John Welch) wrote in message news:<13efcc39.0405062043.63294a65@posting.google.com>...
    > In a minute or so I have XXDP up! Blew me into the weeds, man!
    >
    > If anyone can point me to an XXDP primer that would be great.

    If you can read/print Postscript, get XXDP.ps from
    http://web.archive.org/web/200306040...et.com/public/
    Unfortunately, the original site seems to have gone away and thw
    Wayback Machine says it didn't grab the parallel .pdf (though I didn't
    try all its archives).

    This is XXDP V2 system commands only, no specific utilities.

    Chris

+ Reply to Thread