Trying to get 11/44 running - VMS

This is a discussion on Trying to get 11/44 running - VMS ; Greetings. I purchased a very nice 11/44 on ebay and I need some help getting it running. It has lots of memory, a 9trac tape, an RL02 and a 3 hundred meg CDC drive. It also has a big whopper ...

  1. Trying to get 11/44 running

    Greetings.

    I purchased a very nice 11/44 on ebay and I need some help getting it
    running. It has lots of memory, a 9trac tape, an RL02 and a 3 hundred
    meg CDC drive. It also has a big whopper power cable that has a 50
    amp three phase plug. Luckly, I have a wall socket available (that
    used to feed a vax, another story) that it plugs into.

    My first task is to understand how to power up everything. Each unit,
    tape, RL02, CDC drive, computer, plugs into what looks like a power
    director bolted to the bottom of the rack.

    Looking at this power director thingy from the front there are two
    plug together on the left side and six or so on the right side. On
    the back of the power director ware four small white/clear plastic
    three prong plugs. There is a pair of similar plugs on the back of
    the 11/44. Also the unit came with a skinny wire with the same but
    oppsite gender connectors.

    Anyway, when I flip the switch on the power director the fan on the
    RL02 comes on and the lights on the front light up, but when I flip
    the front pannel switch on the 11/44 the RL02 looses power. So the
    first thing I need help with is getting everything to come on.
    Hopefully someone has a similar rig and can let me know how thiers is
    cabled to the power. I will be glad to provide any more information,
    pictures etc.

    Thanks in advance
    John Welch

  2. Re: Trying to get 11/44 running

    John Welch wrote:
    > My first task is to understand how to power up everything. Each unit,
    > tape, RL02, CDC drive, computer, plugs into what looks like a power
    > director bolted to the bottom of the rack.

    That's a power controller, probably an 861 or third-
    party equivalent. The Molex connectors are for
    control cables that are shorted/opened to enable/
    disable power to the sockets, allowing the single
    front panel switch to control power for all devices
    plugged into the controller. Multiple controllers
    can have these controls "daisy-chained". There
    should be a toggle switch on the controller that
    can be set to "manual" mode to override the
    connector, in which case you need to manually
    power up each device (CPU last); allow time for
    spin-up of the disk motor before proceeding to the
    next device.

    It would be very unusual for the CDC 9766 drive to
    plug into the same controller as everything else,
    although I suppose if you have true 50A service it
    is possible. Be very careful as you are likely to
    have a head crash if you haven't thoroughly checked
    and cleaned the drive and packs (requires special
    equipment to properly clean the packs).

    > Anyway, when I flip the switch on the power director the fan on the
    > RL02 comes on and the lights on the front light up, but when I flip
    > the front pannel switch on the 11/44 the RL02 looses power.

    Does the 11/44 (BA11 box) retain power? (I hope
    you checked the power supplies with dummy loads
    before plugging the logic cards into the backplane.)

    Check that the RL02 doesn't have its head locking
    plate in place (as it should have been for shipment).

    Check out the scanned manuals and engineering
    drawings for various parts of your system at
    http://bitsavers.org/pdf/. There is a lot
    involved in getting an old system like this to
    run. Hopefully before it is lost you will copy
    the data on the system disk pack(s) to backup
    media; you might have the only existing copy of
    some historically important operating system.

  3. Re: Trying to get 11/44 running

    "Douglas A. Gwyn" wrote in message news:...
    > John Welch wrote:

    > should be a toggle switch on the controller that
    > can be set to "manual" mode to override the
    > connector, in which case you need to manually
    > power up each device (CPU last); allow time for
    > spin-up of the disk motor before proceeding to the
    > next device.

    It is there, I will try it.

    > It would be very unusual for the CDC 9766 drive to
    > plug into the same controller as everything else,
    > although I suppose if you have true 50A service it
    > is possible. Be very careful as you are likely to
    > have a head crash if you haven't thoroughly checked
    > and cleaned the drive and packs (requires special
    > equipment to properly clean the packs)

    These are sealed units. It has a pair of them. I have an 11/34 in
    the room that we were getting up and I tried using one of these drives
    but did not get it to work, however, I was haveing cabeling/power
    supply issues that were not resloved until I gave up on the CDC drive
    and moved on to some other drives. I will post the exact specifics of
    the drive tomorrow night.

    > Does the 11/44 (BA11 box) retain power? (I hope
    > you checked the power supplies with dummy loads
    > before plugging the logic cards into the backplane.)

    Yes, it keeps running. The unit was running up until it was
    unplugged, packed up and shipped to me. This is the fires 44 I have
    ever seen so I do not know much about them, but the console gets to a
    point where it says >>>
    More on that later.

    > Check that the RL02 doesn't have its head locking
    > plate in place (as it should have been for shipment).

    Oops.

    > Check out the scanned manuals and engineering
    > drawings for various parts of your system at
    > http://bitsavers.org/pdf/. There is a lot

    Thanks for the link!

    > the data on the system disk pack(s) to backup
    > media; you might have the only existing copy of
    > some historically important operating system.

    The plan is to copy RL02 packs to tape, move tape to the 11/34, image
    the tape to a ra81, copy image through a vax to a pee cee and onto CD
    for use in SIMH or what ever.

    I am really looking forward to tomorrow!
    John

  4. Re: Trying to get 11/44 running

    John Welch wrote:
    > These are sealed units.

    Ah, when you said 300MB CDC I assumed 9766 (which DEC
    adopted under their own label as RM05). I have some
    9766s and 11/44s awaiting refurbishment. Maybe your
    disks are RA70, which is newer and smaller (5.25"
    platters), or else non-DEC equipment along with a
    suitable controller (most often from Emulex). I've
    seen and used ESDI-interface drives with PDP-11s, for
    one example. If you can post an exact equipment list
    we might be able to locate documentation for it.

    Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread