bootstrap bare system question. - VMS

This is a discussion on bootstrap bare system question. - VMS ; Hi folks: Helping a friend and can't figure out this one..... Recently assembled an 11/23 with RX02s, one rl02, and rd53. All components seem to be working fine...loaded (by hand) assembly code to test mem, touch devices, etc. He wants ...

  1. bootstrap bare system question.

    Hi folks:

    Helping a friend and can't figure out this one.....
    Recently assembled an 11/23 with RX02s, one rl02, and rd53. All
    components seem to be working fine...loaded (by hand) assembly code to
    test mem, touch devices, etc. He wants to run RT or RSX (preferably RT)
    but neither he, nor I have a source distribution. I tried my RT11
    distribution on RX02s but they seem to have aged...getting read errors
    on his drives.

    So, couple of questions:
    1. Where could he get a distribution?
    2. Given he has two different drives, could a sysgen be done (I've
    always done it on two (nearly identical) drives, i.e RL01s RL02s, etc.
    Yes, he has a hobby license.
    3. If he was loaned a distribution on say a RL02, could he make a image
    copy to the RD53 and then recopy it to a clean RL02? If so, how?

    Thanks for your help
    John

  2. Re: bootstrap bare system question.

    John Hudak wrote:
    > 1. Where could he get a distribution?

    Mentec ($$) or wait for one to show up on eBay..

    > 2. Given he has two different drives, could a sysgen be done (I've
    > always done it on two (nearly identical) drives, i.e RL01s RL02s, etc.

    An RT-11 sysgen can be done using a single RL02.
    Or if you get an RX02 distribution you can use it to
    sysgen onto an RL02.

    > 3. If he was loaned a distribution on say a RL02, could he make a image
    > copy to the RD53 and then recopy it to a clean RL02? If so, how?

    I think DUP may be able to image-copy on a single
    drive via disk swapping.

    You could write some simple program to read a device
    and write an image into a file, then vice versa, but
    at least for RT-11 the simplest thing is to copy the
    files en masse, COPY/BOOT to make the result bootable,
    boot the copy, then copy files back to a newly
    initialized disk, COPY/BOOT that, etc.

+ Reply to Thread