Re: Bidding on Ebay for DEC equipment - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Bidding on Ebay for DEC equipment - VMS ; *jaw drops* Ok, someone tell me *WHY* this stuff goes for so much on Ebay? It's a VT100, not a 103, 104, 125, or something else "cool". And VT100's are not even old. Nor do they have the personality of ...

  1. Re: Bidding on Ebay for DEC equipment

    *jaw drops*

    Ok, someone tell me *WHY* this stuff goes for so much on Ebay? It's a
    VT100, not a 103, 104, 125, or something else "cool". And VT100's are
    not even old.

    Nor do they have the personality of say an LA36 or a VT52. Though even a
    VT52 is not as odd as a VT05 or a VSV11 or a GT40 or....

    That's insane. Who is buying this stuff and why?

    Chris

    Michael Ross wrote:

    > On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 10:04:31 -0800, Alan Frisbie
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I recently saw a PDP-8/M go for a high bid of $1500.00.
    >>Obviously some people *really* care about preserving them.

    > Bad enough.
    >
    > Even worse:
    >
    > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=4121020871
    >
    > Mike
    > http://www.corestore.org
    >
    > 'As I walk along these shores
    > I am the history within'

  2. Re: Bidding on Ebay for DEC equipment

    Christopher Zach wrote:
    > Ok, someone tell me *WHY* this stuff goes for so much on Ebay? It's a
    > VT100, not a 103, 104, 125, or something else "cool". And VT100's are
    > not even old.
    > Nor do they have the personality of say an LA36 or a VT52. Though even a
    > VT52 is not as odd as a VT05 or a VSV11 or a GT40 or....

    VT100s in good working order aren't seen that often in eBay.
    And they are pretty "cool" to some -- I recall when they
    first came out, and the smooth scrolling, black on white
    was really nifty. There were even rubber "condoms" for the
    numeric keypad to label those keys with editing functions.
    It was a whole lot better than anything else available for
    use as an OS-supported PDP-11 terminal at the time (except
    for a VS60, but that's an entirely different category of
    device and was supported as a "terminal" only on RT-11).

  3. Re: Bidding on Ebay for DEC equipment

    "Douglas A. Gwyn" wrote in message

    > VT100s in good working order aren't seen that often in eBay.
    > And they are pretty "cool" to some -- I recall when they
    > first came out, and the smooth scrolling, black on white
    > was really nifty.

    Precisely why I wanted one for my collection. I cut my teeth in high-school
    in the early 80s on an 11/23 running first MU-BASIC under RT-11 then (when
    the memory got upgraded to the maximum 128kW) under RSX-11M. On VT100s.

+ Reply to Thread