Re: Bidding on Ebay for DEC equipment - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Bidding on Ebay for DEC equipment - VMS ; Alan Frisbie wrote: |Dan Lanciani wrote: | |> If it's any consolation, some sellers seem to use the technique of ending |> the auction seconds "early" (after canceling all bids) as a matter of course |> when they aren't happy ...

  1. Re: Bidding on Ebay for DEC equipment

    Alan Frisbie wrote:

    |Dan Lanciani wrote:
    |
    |> If it's any consolation, some sellers seem to use the technique of ending
    |> the auction seconds "early" (after canceling all bids) as a matter of course
    |> when they aren't happy with the price.
    |
    |Just a few comments on this issue:
    |
    |I haven't had this happen to me, but a seller who does this will
    |usually miss out on the last-second bidders.

    The sellers know that and try to time their cancels accordingly. But
    ultimately they have the upper hand because even after the auction ends
    they can just back out.

    Dan Lanciani
    ddl@danlan.*com

  2. Re: Bidding on Ebay for DEC equipment

    Dan Lanciani wrote:
    > The sellers know that and try to time their cancels accordingly. But
    > ultimately they have the upper hand because even after the auction ends
    > they can just back out.

    I've bought a *boatload* of PDP-11 and other gear via eBay
    and almost never had a seller back out, even when the bid
    price was ridiculously low (on no-reserve auctions).

    The sad fact is that to most people, antique computers are
    worth more ground up to reclaim their gold content than
    intact and operational. We should be glad that some folks
    are satisfied with selling them to those who care, instead.

  3. Re: Bidding on Ebay for DEC equipment

    Douglas A. Gwyn wrote:

    > The sad fact is that to most people, antique computers are
    > worth more ground up to reclaim their gold content than
    > intact and operational. We should be glad that some folks
    > are satisfied with selling them to those who care, instead.

    I recently saw a PDP-8/M go for a high bid of $1500.00.
    Obviously some people *really* care about preserving them.

    Alan

  4. Re: Bidding on Ebay for DEC equipment

    On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 10:04:31 -0800, Alan Frisbie
    wrote:

    >I recently saw a PDP-8/M go for a high bid of $1500.00.
    >Obviously some people *really* care about preserving them.

    Bad enough.

    Even worse:

    Mike
    http://www.corestore.org