Hi Will:
Thanks for the post. I've been party to the scenario you described (not
with JCM parts). Most frustrating. I've also have gotten 'good deals' -
things that I would not have been able to find, let alone found at a
more than reasonable price. If it is any concelation, I've dealt with
JCMparts in the past and have had good dealings with them. They are
also, IMHO, one of the more reputable people selling DEC stuff on ebay.
There are quite a lot of fly-by-night types that just throw up a
picture of a card, drive, and with minimal info, ask an outrageous
starting price. Moreover, when you ask for any specifics, the answer
you get is 'DUH'?? My favorite is, 'selling (junk) as-is...asking
outrageous price' and 'look carefully at the pic'..

One thing that has work in the past, is, if an item does not sell,
contact the ppl and negotiate a price.

I agree with your view that the seller should be held to the same
contract principles as the bidder. Once you make a decision to sell, it
should be indefinite. If the customer needed a power supply, they
should have bid on the unit. Of course, this would have driven the
price way up.

Not to long ago, there were 4 falcon boards being offered...I made
arrangements to be around a PC near the end of the auction to bid on the
items. Similar experience to yours - They were removed from bidding. I
contacted the seller who told me that he was offered $1000 for each
board (not really sure I believe this) and it was a better deal than the
current price of somewhere around $50 for all four. Can't say that if I
was in his shoes, I would not do the same thing.

I've never seen in a live auction, the item removed while bidding is
going on. Perhaps ebay should have the same policy?
John