Re: Terminal pager on RSX-11M+ - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Terminal pager on RSX-11M+ - VMS ; On Sun, 7 Mar 2004, David Evans wrote: > In article , > Johnny Billquist wrote: > >On Sat, 6 Mar 2004, David Evans wrote: > > > >> In article , > >> Rob Brown wrote: > >> > ...

  1. Re: Terminal pager on RSX-11M+

    On Sun, 7 Mar 2004, David Evans wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Johnny Billquist wrote:
    > >On Sat, 6 Mar 2004, David Evans wrote:

    > >> I'm not sure what VTL is. But I was hoping for something that would
    > >> provide paging functionality for something like "show dev".

    > >Oops. That's a biggie. In short, you can't.

    > Blah.

    :-)
    Thats the problem with not having pipes, and an already extremely complex
    TT: driver.

    Hmm. Actually, I could fix this for you, using ACD. How interested are
    you?

    ACDs are a way to hook in your own code in the terminal driver.

    > >There is no generic functionality to show one page at a time in RSX. The
    > >VT52 terminal have that functionality, and is what the SET/HOLD stuff is
    > >about.
    > >
    > >Use XON/XOFF. :-)

    > Well, XON/XOFF doesn't work very well because the stuff gets sent over
    > the telnet connection long before the control character can get there
    > (this *is* all happening on your machine, after all, Johnny. ;-)) But
    > at least I can use modern terminal emulators with scrollbars, so it's not
    > a major problem. It was just so easy on TOPS-20...

    Hey! Not fair. TOPS-20 is a bit much to compary with. :-)

    Anyhow, yes, XON/XOFF is a bitch to Magica. The problem is actually in
    telnet. It's supposed to handle XON/XOFF locally, but the stupid
    telnet/LAT translator used on MAGICA handles telnet options wrong, so
    everything gets wrong.
    You cannot get 8-bit clean to Magica through telnet either. I know, I
    know... I should fix my own telnet. It's coming...

    So, it's even worse. XON/XOFF to Magica never works over telnet. You can
    send XOFF to your hearts content without ever stopping the output.

    Johnny

    Johnny Billquist || "I'm on a bus
    || on a psychedelic trip

  2. Re: Terminal pager on RSX-11M+

    In article ,
    Johnny Billquist wrote:

    >> >Oops. That's a biggie. In short, you can't.

    >> Blah.

    >:-)
    >Thats the problem with not having pipes, and an already extremely complex
    >TT: driver.
    >
    >Hmm. Actually, I could fix this for you, using ACD. How interested are
    >you?

    I don't care about it *that* much; like I said, terminal apps with
    scrollbars make the problem easier to handle.

    >> It was just so easy on TOPS-20...

    >Hey! Not fair. TOPS-20 is a bit much to compary with. :-)

    Hehe. True.

    >Anyhow, yes, XON/XOFF is a bitch to Magica. The problem is actually in
    >telnet. It's supposed to handle XON/XOFF locally, but the stupid
    >telnet/LAT translator used on MAGICA handles telnet options wrong, so
    >everything gets wrong.
    >You cannot get 8-bit clean to Magica through telnet either. I know, I
    >know... I should fix my own telnet. It's coming...

    Ahhh, OK. That makes some sense.

    Thanks for "providing" Magica, BTW; it's fun and educational.

    --
    David Evans dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
    Ph.D. Candidate, Computer/Synth Junkie http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/

+ Reply to Thread