Re: Terminal pager on RSX-11M+ - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: Terminal pager on RSX-11M+ - VMS ; On Sat, 6 Mar 2004, David Evans wrote: > In article , > Rob Brown wrote: > > > >Do you mean something like TYPE/PAGE from VMS DCL? M+ V4.6 DCL has this > >functionality. Otherwise, I would use VTL. ...

  1. Re: Terminal pager on RSX-11M+

    On Sat, 6 Mar 2004, David Evans wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Rob Brown wrote:
    > >
    > >Do you mean something like TYPE/PAGE from VMS DCL? M+ V4.6 DCL has this
    > >functionality. Otherwise, I would use VTL.

    > I'm not sure what VTL is. But I was hoping for something that would
    > provide paging functionality for something like "show dev".

    Oops. That's a biggie. In short, you can't.
    VTL can be used to view files. The same is true for PIP.
    There is no generic functionality to show one page at a time in RSX. The
    VT52 terminal have that functionality, and is what the SET/HOLD stuff is
    about.

    Use XON/XOFF. :-)

    Johnny

    Johnny Billquist || "I'm on a bus
    || on a psychedelic trip

  2. Re: Terminal pager on RSX-11M+

    In article ,
    Johnny Billquist wrote:
    >On Sat, 6 Mar 2004, David Evans wrote:
    >
    >> In article ,
    >> Rob Brown wrote:
    >> >
    >> >Do you mean something like TYPE/PAGE from VMS DCL? M+ V4.6 DCL has this
    >> >functionality. Otherwise, I would use VTL.

    >> I'm not sure what VTL is. But I was hoping for something that would
    >> provide paging functionality for something like "show dev".

    >Oops. That's a biggie. In short, you can't.

    Blah.

    >VTL can be used to view files. The same is true for PIP.

    I had known about TYPE/PAGE, which IIRC worked OK for me.

    >There is no generic functionality to show one page at a time in RSX. The
    >VT52 terminal have that functionality, and is what the SET/HOLD stuff is
    >about.
    >
    >Use XON/XOFF. :-)

    Well, XON/XOFF doesn't work very well because the stuff gets sent over
    the telnet connection long before the control character can get there
    (this *is* all happening on your machine, after all, Johnny. ;-)) But
    at least I can use modern terminal emulators with scrollbars, so it's not
    a major problem. It was just so easy on TOPS-20...

    --
    David Evans dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
    Ph.D. Candidate, Computer/Synth Junkie http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/

+ Reply to Thread