Re: WTF-77? (Fortran newbie post) - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: WTF-77? (Fortran newbie post) - VMS ; > Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 09:34:44 -0600 (GMT-06:00) > From: "Julian Wolfe (FireflyST)" > To: info-pdp11@village.org > Subject: WTF-77? (Fortran newbie post) > Mime-Version: 1.0 > Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit > X-Spam-Level: Level > X-Spamscanner: mailbox4.ucsd.edu (v1.4 Mar 2 2004 11:47:57, ...

  1. Re: WTF-77? (Fortran newbie post)

    > Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 09:34:44 -0600 (GMT-06:00)
    > From: "Julian Wolfe (FireflyST)"
    > To: info-pdp11@village.org
    > Subject: WTF-77? (Fortran newbie post)
    >
    > Thanks again to you all on my previous posts.
    >
    > I just went up to the library where I work (I work at the College of
    > Lake County in IL) and they had a ton of oldschool computing books
    > about mainframes etc, and many about older languages like Fortran
    > and Algol. So I grabbed one of the circa-1980 books on Fortran 77,
    > and all it talked about was cards, cards, cards! Frankly, I know that
    > the card punch is as "retro" as it gets, but I hate the things and
    > have no interest in acquiring one. As I went through other F77 books,
    > they all were referring to the same stuff.

    > Can someone help me out in getting started using Fortran, or at least,
    > what to do with all this info regarding punch cards? The books say
    > things like "If you are using an interactive or real-time system, simply
    > adapt this information to fit those needs", but it doesn't say how to!

    I thought offhand that cards went out before F77 came in. But maybe
    the book authors hadn't kept up. I last used cards with F63.

    Short summary: a Fortran source file is a text file, and can be prepared
    on your "interactive or real-time" computer using the text editor of
    your choice, saved as a disk file, and then submitted to the compiler.

    If you wish, you can count out the columns as specified in the book.
    Col <1-5> Statement Number (if any)
    Col 6 Continuation mark (if any)
    Col <7-71> Source Text
    Col <73-80> reserved for card sequence number

    All the implementations of Fortran that I have seen for computers
    that have serial terminals, text editors, etc. rather than card readers
    have a more free-form input style:

    As I recall, if you want to continue the Source Text onto the next
    line, you need to revert to the formal column style, counting out
    5 spaces before the Continuation mark.

    There is the potential for some confusion here, if your Fortran
    compiler tries to enforce Col 73-80 Sequence Numbers by ignoring
    everything on the line after Col 72. As I recall, this can be
    turned off by a command-line switch, at least in PDP-11 F77.

    Something else that some of the text-stream-oriented F77 compilers have
    is the provision for end-of-line comments, delimited by ! as I recall.

    !

    carl
    --
    carl lowenstein marine physical lab u.c. san diego
    clowenst@ucsd.edu

  2. Re: WTF-77? (Fortran newbie post)

    In article <200403060127.i261Rrv13415@opihi.ucsd.edu>,
    Carl Lowenstein writes:

    > I thought offhand that cards went out before F77 came in. But maybe
    > the book authors hadn't kept up. I last used cards with F63.

    I was still using cards on the IBM 4331 in 1980 and then when I moved
    to the UNIVAC 1100 we used cards at least through 1984 when I left
    the Mainframe world. I would imagine card systems stuck around for
    even a while after that.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include