Re: WTF-77? (Fortran newbie post) - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: WTF-77? (Fortran newbie post) - VMS ; Simple. The card references for FORTRAN is easily adaptable to glass ttys. A "C" character in the first position on the card makes the line a comment. In a text file, that will be column 1. Line numbers are at ...

  1. Re: WTF-77? (Fortran newbie post)

    Simple.

    The card references for FORTRAN is easily adaptable to glass ttys.
    A "C" character in the first position on the card makes the line a
    comment. In a text file, that will be column 1.
    Line numbers are at the same place.
    Code should start a position 9. Same column in text file. Most modern
    compilers accept a lot of deviation here. Use one TAB, or more than six
    spaces.
    Continuation is marked by something in position 5. No different in a text
    file than on a card.

    Some compilers still respect that anything beyond position 72 is a
    comment. If so; don't write long lines.

    I don't really see what the problem is... :-)

    Johnny

    Johnny Billquist || "I'm on a bus
    || on a psychedelic trip

  2. Re: WTF-77? (Fortran newbie post)

    Johnny Billquist wrote:
    > The card references for FORTRAN is easily adaptable to glass ttys.
    > A "C" character in the first position on the card makes the line a
    > comment. In a text file, that will be column 1.
    > Line numbers are at the same place.
    > Code should start a position 9. Same column in text file. Most modern
    > compilers accept a lot of deviation here. Use one TAB, or more than six
    > spaces.
    > Continuation is marked by something in position 5. No different in a text
    > file than on a card.

    Column 6. The main difference is that for interactive
    input one can omit all the trailing spaces on the line.

    For card decks and card-deck images as tape or disk files,
    columns 73-80 were reserved for sequence numbers, which
    made it a lot easier to get the cards back in order after
    one dropped the deck on the floor. (Every respectable DP
    center had a card sorter.)

    Actually, DEC PDP-11 Fortran accepted a different form of
    contuation involving the & character (in column 1 I think,
    with the rest of the line available for the statement
    since there would be no label on a continuation line).

  3. Re: WTF-77? (Fortran newbie post)

    In article , "Douglas A. Gwyn" writes:
    > Actually, DEC PDP-11 Fortran accepted a different form of
    > contuation involving the & character (in column 1 I think,
    > with the rest of the line available for the statement
    > since there would be no label on a continuation line).

    It's been a while since I did PDP-11 FORTRAN, but IIRC you could use a tab,
    then a C for comment, or ANY numeric character for a continuation line.

    Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L TRA # "Impeach the TRA BoD"

    Kaplow Klips & Baffle: http://nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/Phantom4000.pdf
    www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org