Re: PDP11/0x in my apartment? - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: PDP11/0x in my apartment? - VMS ; On Fri, 5 Mar 2004, Christopher Zach wrote: > > Never heard of the RK06 controller. Where did you find anything on that? > > The RK611 controller was for the RK06 and RK07 series drives. They were > pack ...

  1. Re: PDP11/0x in my apartment?

    On Fri, 5 Mar 2004, Christopher Zach wrote:

    > > Never heard of the RK06 controller. Where did you find anything on that?

    > The RK611 controller was for the RK06 and RK07 series drives. They were
    > pack drives like the RL01/02, but had two platters in the case. Three
    > surfaces for data, one for servo.

    Ah! You meant the controller for the RK06! I thought you were talking
    about a controller called the RK06. :-)

    Personally, I hate RK06/07. I've had to fight a few, and it never ended
    happily.

    > They stored 14/28mb per pack. Although they had their own controller and
    > cables (and drivers) they had most of the features of the bigger
    > RM02/03's. Seeks, ECC transactions, head offsets, the works. I also
    > think the drives themselves could be dual-ported.

    Yes. They are dual ported, along with all that other stuff. :-/

    > Odd that they went with yet another controller instead of just going
    > MASSBUS on it.

    The RK611 is a single HEX board. Much better than having to plug in a
    RH11, and the Massbus cables are not fun to try to hide... :-)

    Johnny

    Johnny Billquist || "I'm on a bus
    || on a psychedelic trip

  2. Re: PDP11/0x in my apartment?

    Ahh yes, RK07 did have hardware support for dual porting...but...I don't
    think any of the DEC OSs took advantage of it..That was why I decided to
    write one in my spare time to run under RT-11.....waaaaaay long time ago....
    John