Re: PDP11/0x in my apartment? - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: PDP11/0x in my apartment? - VMS ; > Another solution for power might be to split the load across a couple > circuits (hopefully someone will comment if this is a bad idea, which I > think it might be, but can't remember why). It's a bad ...

  1. Re: PDP11/0x in my apartment?

    > Another solution for power might be to split the load across a couple
    > circuits (hopefully someone will comment if this is a bad idea, which I
    > think it might be, but can't remember why).

    It's a bad idea if one of your plugs is backwards and you run into a
    ground loop. I've also had situations where there was a ground leakage
    between two non-bolted racks. That *HURT*

    Bond your racks together. Nuff said. As for power usage, I run two
    RM03's and an RM80 on a single 20 amp circuit. The Decsystem20/20 is on
    another, and a 20amp 240 volt service is more than enough for two TU77's
    running at steam.

    Chris

    > Zane

  2. Re: PDP11/0x in my apartment?

    Christopher Zach wrote:
    > ... As for power usage, I run two
    > RM03's and an RM80 on a single 20 amp circuit.

    Something that should be mentioned is that one should
    spin up big old disk drives one at a time rather than
    concurrently; the spin-up current is *much* greater
    than the steady-state current. A power sequencer can
    do this automatically. or one can simply turn them on
    by hand.

+ Reply to Thread