11/23 with RX02 problems - VMS

This is a discussion on 11/23 with RX02 problems - VMS ; Its me again, I'm taking a month off to play with my dead systems. If I attempt to boot this RX02 I get the following. The drive does a little clicking first, as if it attempts a read. "Trying UNIT ...

  1. 11/23 with RX02 problems

    Its me again, I'm taking a month off to play with my dead systems.
    If I attempt to boot this RX02 I get the following.
    The drive does a little clicking first, as if it attempts a read.
    "Trying UNIT DY1
    ERR 15 Controller Error
    Wish to reboot [Y/N]?
    "

    My questions are,
    a) anyone have hints about this. What is ERR 15?
    b)
    1) I thought I'd try XXDP, but don't really know what I should
    see from the various diags. I tried it under E11 and it
    crashes. I thought E11 could run these and would give
    an example of the correct output. Should this work?
    2) On the target 11/23 most the diags that look interesting
    just go away. I initialite them and then it runs
    forever with no faults and no output
    ZRXFB0.bic and ZRXDC0.bic
    One of the above (forget which) told me it needed to reformat
    the disk first, did a couple writes, then waited forever.

    Thoughts?

    Thanks for help with my 11/44 issues. Haven't booted DU yet,
    but have one working now after solving some NPG continuity issues.

    Will

  2. Re: 11/23 with RX02 problems

    will kranz wrote in message news:<3.0.1.32.20031023201547.0075df98@pop.earthlink.net>...
    > Its me again, I'm taking a month off to play with my dead systems.
    > If I attempt to boot this RX02 I get the following.
    > The drive does a little clicking first, as if it attempts a read.
    > "Trying UNIT DY1
    > ERR 15 Controller Error
    > Wish to reboot [Y/N]?
    > "
    >
    > My questions are,
    > a) anyone have hints about this. What is ERR 15?

    Have you done the obvious mechanical checks? Head load pads on RX02's
    are often worn out, and the belts fall off the spindle drives too
    if they haven't been retensioned/replaced recently. At least they were
    thoughtful enough to put those little trays underneath to catch the
    belts :-)

    Tim.

  3. Re: 11/23 with RX02 problems

    shoppa@trailing-edge.com (Tim Shoppa) wrote in message news:...
    > will kranz wrote in message news:<3.0.1.32.20031023201547.0075df98@pop.earthlink.net>...
    > > Its me again, I'm taking a month off to play with my dead systems.
    > > If I attempt to boot this RX02 I get the following.
    > > The drive does a little clicking first, as if it attempts a read.
    > > "Trying UNIT DY1
    > > ERR 15 Controller Error
    > > Wish to reboot [Y/N]?
    > > "
    > >
    > > My questions are,
    > > a) anyone have hints about this. What is ERR 15?

    > Have you done the obvious mechanical checks? Head load pads on RX02's
    > are often worn out, and the belts fall off the spindle drives too
    > if they haven't been retensioned/replaced recently. At least they were
    > thoughtful enough to put those little trays underneath to catch the
    > belts :-)
    >
    > Tim.

    A trick taught me by a DEC Field Servant to see if the belt's fallen
    off is to align the hole in the disk with the hole in the jacket, put
    the disk in, flip the door, and see if the hole's moved.

    Did the disk drive and controller come together? If not, the drive may
    have been used with an RX0_1_ controller. There's a dip switch on the
    board inside the drive which flips it between RX01 and RX02. I forget
    what error you get if it's wrong, but I know it doesn't work. I'll dig
    out the RX02 manual if need be.

    The hamster site seems to be down, hopefully not permanently. Some of
    it's saved on the wayback machine at http://www.archive.org/ so all is
    not lost, but some of it seems to have been blocked.

    Chris

  4. Re: 11/23 with RX02 problems

    Hey Will!

    Did you ever get those Computrol boards fired up?

    Rich C.
    www.sysupport.com

+ Reply to Thread