Boot help with PDP-11/44 - VMS

This is a discussion on Boot help with PDP-11/44 - VMS ; Greetings: Back when the economy was strong and I thought I had some spare change I purchased two 11/44 systems. I've just now gotten around to trying to get them up and running. Is there someone out there who can ...

  1. Boot help with PDP-11/44

    Greetings:
    Back when the economy was strong and I thought I had some spare
    change I purchased two 11/44 systems. I've just now gotten around
    to trying to get them up and running. Is there someone out there
    who can hold my hand a little. I got no docs with the systems,
    but had acquired "PDP-11/44 System Technical Manual" which is
    fairly instructive. However its EK-KD11Z-001 and has an internally
    recieved time stamp of 1983. It describes how to check which boot
    roms are installed and I did this by examining the following.
    Address Result ROM
    17773000 042114 RL01
    17773200 046524 TU10,TE10,TS03
    17773400 042125 not in my list
    17773600 16177 no rom present, or failure

    Its the 042125 I'm interested in as it wasn't covered in my manual.
    One system came with a UDA50 controller and an RA81, I'm hoping that's
    the right boot ROM. If so, do I just do a boot DU0?
    The system with this seems to have a set of RK05 controller boards
    installed, but my 11/44 manual suggests that would be 042113?

    Does anyone have the ability to make these ROMS. As a big
    TU58 fan, I'd like to be able to boot that given that I seem
    to have an open rom slot. I've yet to actually pull the board
    and look or try the 2nd machine, but its worth asking.

    PS: I'm also looking for an RL02 controller for an 11/23+.
    Anyone want to unload an M8061?

    I hope all you PDP's are humming loadly.
    Will

  2. Re: Boot help with PDP-11/44

    will kranz wrote:
    > Greetings:
    >
    > Its the 042125 I'm interested in as it wasn't covered in my manual.
    > One system came with a UDA50 controller and an RA81, I'm hoping that's
    > the right boot ROM. If so, do I just do a boot DU0?

    It is a DU boot ROM. The value is ASCII for the device, backwards, so the
    125 is ASCII for the "U", and the 42 shift left once is 104, or "D", for DU.

    > The system with this seems to have a set of RK05 controller boards
    > installed, but my 11/44 manual suggests that would be 042113?

    Yup ...

    -Dave

+ Reply to Thread