Re: TC11 diagnostics - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: TC11 diagnostics - VMS ; > Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 06:34:49 -0400 > From: "Douglas A. Gwyn" > Subject: Re: TC11 diagnostics > > Christian Corti wrote: > > It's the same under RT11. But FORMAT don't want to format it either and > ...

  1. Re: TC11 diagnostics

    > Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 06:34:49 -0400
    > From: "Douglas A. Gwyn"
    > Subject: Re: TC11 diagnostics
    >
    > Christian Corti wrote:
    > > It's the same under RT11. But FORMAT don't want to format it either and
    > > there is absolutely no information on the web or in the newsgroups
    > > archives.

    > Check the TC11 manual. I seem to recall that formatting
    > (as opposed to installing an empty file system) requires
    > flipping a switch in the controller then running a
    > special diagnostic function. (But I'm not sure; I never
    > had to reformat any DECtapes.)

    What can I say besides the RT11 equivalent of RTFM.
    (Not said to DAGwyn.)

    To quote the RT-11 Mini-Reference Manual (March 1983)
    "The FORMAT command formats the following disks and diskettes:
    RK05
    RK06-RK07
    RX01-RX02 "

    In addition, one should remember that DEC RX01 and RX02 drives do not
    have the capability of formatting completely blank media. The only
    thing they can do is change existing sector headers to indicate either
    single or double density.

    carl
    --
    carl lowenstein marine physical lab u.c. san diego
    clowenst@ucsd.edu

  2. Re: TC11 diagnostics

    Carl Lowenstein wrote:
    > What can I say besides the RT11 equivalent of RTFM.
    > (Not said to DAGwyn.)

    But to me? I know the RT11 manual and I also know that FORMAT can only
    format RK0x disks. This is why I'm still asking for a DECtape formatter
    because all those manuals and books don't tell me how to format the tapes.

    > have the capability of formatting completely blank media. The only
    > thing they can do is change existing sector headers to indicate either
    > single or double density.

    Only the RX02 drives can do that.

    Christian

+ Reply to Thread