Re: PDP-11 boot problem - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: PDP-11 boot problem - VMS ; On 17 Oct 2003, Slavko Vorkapitch wrote: > Email thread from comp.sys.dec.. > Any help appreciated. > > Thanks in advance, > El Squid > > Hi - I am PDP-11 newbie and I am trying to boot a micro ...

  1. Re: PDP-11 boot problem

    On 17 Oct 2003, Slavko Vorkapitch wrote:

    > Email thread from comp.sys.dec..
    > Any help appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > El Squid
    >
    > Hi - I am PDP-11 newbie and I am trying to boot a micro PDP-11. I
    > would expect to get a prompt for a drive number , ie.. DU0: or some
    > such thing (I know there are 2 drives on this thing) but I keep
    > getting stuck on the system monitor screen after power up for which I
    > am unable to escape from.. Any pointers appreciated.

    WHat do you mean by "STUCK"? Exactly what is written on the screen, and
    what happens if you press keys?

    Johnny

    Johnny Billquist || "I'm on a bus
    || on a psychedelic trip

  2. Re: PDP-11 boot problem

    Good question. I am trepidacious about doing anything on this screen
    as it may render something unrecoverable. I was hoping somebody could
    tell me exactly what this screen is.. Here is what the screen looks
    like

    KDJ11-E Monitor Version 1.06 30-Jul-1990
    (C) Digital Equipment Corporation 1990

    Memory 2048kw Memory Intern 4MB
    EEProm 4kw ROM on 173000 Yes
    Time sometime ROM on 165000 No
    Power-up Mode Dialog
    Nr Device Unit Address Do Restart Mode Dialog
    1 DU 1 Default Do Power-on self tests Yes
    2 DL 0 Default Do Select self tests Edit
    3 MU 0 Default Do User Boot Edit
    4 Du 0 Default Do Alternate Boot Block No
    5 Do LTC Register Yes
    6 Do Force Clock Interrupt No
    Clock Frequency P/S
    Halt on Break No
    Trap on Halt No
    Ignore Battery No
    Lines on 176500

    Map Do
    Factory Setting Do
    Save Do

    Johnny Billquist wrote in message news:...
    > On 17 Oct 2003, Slavko Vorkapitch wrote:
    >
    > > Email thread from comp.sys.dec..
    > > Any help appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance,
    > > El Squid
    > >
    > > Hi - I am PDP-11 newbie and I am trying to boot a micro PDP-11. I
    > > would expect to get a prompt for a drive number , ie.. DU0: or some
    > > such thing (I know there are 2 drives on this thing) but I keep
    > > getting stuck on the system monitor screen after power up for which I
    > > am unable to escape from.. Any pointers appreciated.

    > WHat do you mean by "STUCK"? Exactly what is written on the screen, and
    > what happens if you press keys?
    >
    > Johnny
    >
    > Johnny Billquist || "I'm on a bus
    > || on a psychedelic trip
    > email: bqt@update.uu.se || Reading murder books
    > pdp is alive! || tryin' to stay hip" - B. Idol

  3. Re: PDP-11 boot problem

    Further research has determined this to be the KDJ11-E Setup Mode
    Command 2 screen - the manual I am looking at is showing a prompt line
    at the bottom of the screen with "Type CTRL-Z to exit or press Return
    key to proceed"
    Unfortunately this line doesn't show up on the screen. I tried CTRL-Z
    to no avail. CTRL-C didn't do anything either.

    El Squid

    el_squid_2000@yahoo.com (Slavko Vorkapitch) wrote in message news:...
    > Good question. I am trepidacious about doing anything on this screen
    > as it may render something unrecoverable. I was hoping somebody could
    > tell me exactly what this screen is.. Here is what the screen looks
    > like
    >
    > KDJ11-E Monitor Version 1.06 30-Jul-1990
    > (C) Digital Equipment Corporation 1990
    >
    > Memory 2048kw Memory Intern 4MB
    > EEProm 4kw ROM on 173000 Yes
    > Time sometime ROM on 165000 No
    > Power-up Mode Dialog
    > Nr Device Unit Address Do Restart Mode Dialog
    > 1 DU 1 Default Do Power-on self tests Yes
    > 2 DL 0 Default Do Select self tests Edit
    > 3 MU 0 Default Do User Boot Edit
    > 4 Du 0 Default Do Alternate Boot Block No
    > 5 Do LTC Register Yes
    > 6 Do Force Clock Interrupt No
    > Clock Frequency P/S
    > Halt on Break No
    > Trap on Halt No
    > Ignore Battery No
    > Lines on 176500
    >
    > Map Do
    > Factory Setting Do
    > Save Do
    >

    > Johnny Billquist wrote in message news:...
    > > On 17 Oct 2003, Slavko Vorkapitch wrote:
    > >
    > > > Email thread from comp.sys.dec..
    > > > Any help appreciated.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks in advance,
    > > > El Squid
    > > >
    > > > Hi - I am PDP-11 newbie and I am trying to boot a micro PDP-11. I
    > > > would expect to get a prompt for a drive number , ie.. DU0: or some
    > > > such thing (I know there are 2 drives on this thing) but I keep
    > > > getting stuck on the system monitor screen after power up for which I
    > > > am unable to escape from.. Any pointers appreciated.

    > > WHat do you mean by "STUCK"? Exactly what is written on the screen, and
    > > what happens if you press keys?
    > >
    > > Johnny
    > >
    > > Johnny Billquist || "I'm on a bus
    > > email: bqt@update.uu.se || Reading murder books
    > > pdp is alive! || tryin' to stay hip" - B. Idol

  4. Re: PDP-11 boot problem

    Slavko Vorkapitch wrote:
    > Further research has determined this to be the KDJ11-E Setup Mode
    > Command 2 screen - the manual I am looking at is showing a prompt line
    > at the bottom of the screen with "Type CTRL-Z to exit or press Return
    > key to proceed"
    > Unfortunately this line doesn't show up on the screen. I tried CTRL-Z
    > to no avail. CTRL-C didn't do anything either.

    Actually, It is the main screen for dialog on the KDJ11-E, for a VT series
    terminal. You should be able to use the arrow keys to move to one of the
    "DO" functions next to one of the devices, and enter , to perform the
    boot of a specific device. I know with LA120's, the communication required
    parity, although I can't remember if it was mark, even, or odd. The arrow
    keys should allow you to move to various sections/options on the screen ...

    -Dave

    > El Squid
    >
    > el_squid_2000@yahoo.com (Slavko Vorkapitch) wrote in message
    >> Good question. I am trepidacious about doing anything on this screen
    >> as it may render something unrecoverable. I was hoping somebody could
    >> tell me exactly what this screen is.. Here is what the screen looks
    >> like
    >>
    >> KDJ11-E Monitor Version 1.06 30-Jul-1990
    >> (C) Digital Equipment Corporation 1990
    >>
    >> Memory 2048kw Memory Intern 4MB
    >> EEProm 4kw ROM on 173000 Yes
    >> Time sometime ROM on 165000 No
    >> Power-up Mode Dialog
    >> Nr Device Unit Address Do Restart Mode Dialog
    >> 1 DU 1 Default Do Power-on self tests Yes
    >> 2 DL 0 Default Do Select self tests Edit
    >> 3 MU 0 Default Do User Boot Edit
    >> 4 Du 0 Default Do Alternate Boot Block No
    >> 5 Do LTC Register Yes
    >> 6 Do Force Clock Interrupt No
    >> Clock Frequency P/S
    >> Halt on Break No
    >> Trap on Halt No
    >> Ignore Battery No
    >> Lines on 176500
    >>
    >> Map Do
    >> Factory Setting Do
    >> Save Do
    >>

    >> Johnny Billquist wrote in message

    >>> WHat do you mean by "STUCK"? Exactly what is written on the screen,
    >>> and
    >>> what happens if you press keys?
    >>>
    >>> Johnny
    >>>
    >>> Johnny Billquist || "I'm on a bus
    >>> email: bqt@update.uu.se || Reading murder books
    >>> pdp is alive! || tryin' to stay hip" - B. Idol

    >>> quotes).

+ Reply to Thread