Re: TC11 diagnostics - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: TC11 diagnostics - VMS ; > Check the TC11 manual. I seem to recall that formatting > (as opposed to installing an empty file system) requires > flipping a switch in the controller then running a > special diagnostic function. (But I'm not sure; I ...

  1. Re: TC11 diagnostics

    > Check the TC11 manual. I seem to recall that formatting
    > (as opposed to installing an empty file system) requires
    > flipping a switch in the controller then running a
    > special diagnostic function. (But I'm not sure; I never
    > had to reformat any DECtapes.)

    This is exactly right. The TC11 DECtape formatter was part of XXDP.
    You had to set both the Write All and Write T&M (Timing and Mark)
    switches on the controller to "enable".

    I know I've got the documentation buried in my archive here, but
    it will take a while to find.

    ---Bob.

  2. Re: TC11 diagnostics

    Bob Hoffman wrote:
    > This is exactly right. The TC11 DECtape formatter was part of XXDP.
    > You had to set both the Write All and Write T&M (Timing and Mark)
    > switches on the controller to "enable".

    Since my earlier posting I found the TC11 manual on AEK's
    documentation site. While it mentions the switches it
    doesn't name the formatting program, alas.
    I also found several documents on that site showing the
    DECtape format and how it is used by various OSes. FILEX
    is the RT-11 utility for transferring files stored in
    "foreign" formats.

+ Reply to Thread