Can't get the NFS server to start - VMS

This is a discussion on Can't get the NFS server to start - VMS ; I recently upgraded VMS to 7.3-2 and TCPware to 5.7-2. I specified installing both the NFS client and server (I still have the log), yet the NFS server is not running. The last NFSSERVER.LOG file is from several days before ...

  1. Can't get the NFS server to start

    I recently upgraded VMS to 7.3-2 and TCPware to 5.7-2. I specified
    installing both the NFS client and server (I still have the log), yet
    the NFS server is not running. The last NFSSERVER.LOG file is from
    several days before the upgrade. When TCPware started at boottime,
    there were no error messages of any kind, and no messages about NFS at
    all (I have the log of that, too). The SHOW EXPORT command shows the
    one directory I export:

    NETCU> show export
    NFS EXPORT Database V5.7-2 Copyright (c) 2005 Process Software

    Path Directory Host(s)
    ---- --------- -------
    /vms/mbcustom USER01:[MB$.CUSTOM]

    Yet SHOW MOUNT displays an error I don't understand:

    NETCU> show mount
    %TCPWARE_NETCU-E-CRECLNTFAIL, failed to create RPC client, RPC: Program
    not registered

    Did I do something wrong in the installation or configuration? How can
    I get NFS started?

    Thanks,
    Drew

    Drew Shelton drew.shelton@sematech.org
    VMS Systems Administrator office: 512-356-7575
    Sematech fax: 512-356-7600
    2706 Montopolis Drive
    Austin, TX 78741-6499 I speak for myself only, not
    Sematech.
    "There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and
    UNIX.

  2. Re: Can't get the NFS server to start

    dcshelton@gmail.com wrote:
    > I recently upgraded VMS to 7.3-2 and TCPware to 5.7-2. I specified
    > installing both the NFS client and server (I still have the log), yet
    > the NFS server is not running. The last NFSSERVER.LOG file is from
    > several days before the upgrade. When TCPware started at boottime,
    > there were no error messages of any kind, and no messages about NFS at
    > all (I have the log of that, too). The SHOW EXPORT command shows the
    > one directory I export:
    >
    > NETCU> show export
    > NFS EXPORT Database V5.7-2 Copyright (c) 2005 Process Software
    >
    > Path Directory Host(s)
    > ---- --------- -------
    > /vms/mbcustom USER01:[MB$.CUSTOM]
    >

    > Yet SHOW MOUNT displays an error I don't understand:
    >
    > NETCU> show mount
    > %TCPWARE_NETCU-E-CRECLNTFAIL, failed to create RPC client, RPC: Program
    > not registered

    IIRC, NFS uses RPC (aka sunrpc) so maybe you need to explicitly enable
    RPC (Portmapper service). I have both enabled on my system, so I'm not
    sure.

    "$ @tcpware:cnfnet nfs" doesn't seem to mention rpc anywhere.

    I'm not sure what you need to do, if anything, to get the portmapper
    running. I don't see it anywhere in cnfnet.com.

    $ rpcinfo -p
    should show (among other things) nfs versions 2 & 3 running on both
    UDP and TCP port 2049

    I don't think I had to do anything special to re-enable NFS after
    my most recent upgrade, but maybe I did redo the "@cnfnet"

    > Did I do something wrong in the installation or configuration? How can
    > I get NFS started?

    What NFS symbols are defined in your TCPWARE_CONFIGURE.COM? That might
    be a hint as to what's wrong.

    --
    John Santos
    Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.