OpenVMS and Tru64 Unix - how to get them ? - VMS

This is a discussion on OpenVMS and Tru64 Unix - how to get them ? - VMS ; Hello to everybody, At last I have found and purchased Alpha machine, to be precise AlphaServer 1200. My primary goal regarding this computer is to install and learn OpenVMS anmd Tru64 Unix, just for fun I suppose, at least for ...

  1. OpenVMS and Tru64 Unix - how to get them ?

    Hello to everybody,

    At last I have found and purchased Alpha machine, to be precise
    AlphaServer 1200. My primary goal regarding this computer is to install
    and learn OpenVMS anmd Tru64 Unix, just for fun I suppose, at least for
    the time being.

    Prior to purchase I found OpenVMS Hobbyist Programme website :

    http://www.openvmshobbyist.com/

    My problem is that there is no users' group in Poland, so I tried to
    contact people via the online form, but nobody replied.

    So my question is : how to get a hobbyist license for OpenVMS ? Same
    question is for Tru64 Unix, but this is a secondary question.

    Regards,

    Piotr Hosowicz
    Red Hat Certified Engineer

    --
    No signature found.

  2. Re: OpenVMS and Tru64 Unix - how to get them ?

    Piotr Hosowicz wrote:
    > Hello to everybody,
    >
    > At last I have found and purchased Alpha machine, to be precise
    > AlphaServer 1200. My primary goal regarding this computer is to install
    > and learn OpenVMS anmd Tru64 Unix, just for fun I suppose, at least for
    > the time being.
    >
    > Prior to purchase I found OpenVMS Hobbyist Programme website :
    >
    > http://www.openvmshobbyist.com/
    >
    > My problem is that there is no users' group in Poland, so I tried to
    > contact people via the online form, but nobody replied.
    >
    > So my question is : how to get a hobbyist license for OpenVMS ? Same
    > question is for Tru64 Unix, but this is a secondary question.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Piotr Hosowicz
    > Red Hat Certified Engineer

    Piotr,

    A possibility that worked in the past (I don't give any garantees ;-) )
    is to become an associated member of encompass.

    https://www.encompassus.org/secure/m...orm_type=ASSOC

    You can enlist for free via this american web site and depending on a
    few factors after a few hours/days You can try to get your licenses via
    the openvmshobbyist site. Do you have the media (Openvms cd's)?

    good luck!

    regards Ton.

  3. Re: OpenVMS and Tru64 Unix - how to get them ?

    Ton van der Zwet wrote:

    > A possibility that worked in the past (I don't give any garantees ;-) )
    > is to become an associated member of encompass.
    >
    > https://www.encompassus.org/secure/m...orm_type=ASSOC
    >
    > You can enlist for free via this american web site and depending on a
    > few factors after a few hours/days You can try to get your licenses via
    > the openvmshobbyist site.

    Ok, I will try this, thanks Ton.

    > Do you have the media (Openvms cd's)?

    No, I don't have the media. Will they send it to me or I have to get it
    somehow on my own ?

    --
    No signature found.

  4. Re: OpenVMS and Tru64 Unix - how to get them ?

    Piotr Hosowicz wrote:
    > Ton van der Zwet wrote:
    >
    >> A possibility that worked in the past (I don't give any garantees ;-)
    >> ) is to become an associated member of encompass.
    >>
    >> https://www.encompassus.org/secure/m...orm_type=ASSOC
    >>
    >> You can enlist for free via this american web site and depending on a
    >> few factors after a few hours/days You can try to get your licenses
    >> via the openvmshobbyist site.

    > Ok, I will try this, thanks Ton.
    >
    >> Do you have the media (Openvms cd's)?

    > No, I don't have the media. Will they send it to me or I have to get it
    > somehow on my own ?

    Piotr,

    You can order a mediakit on the Openvmshobbyist site. A better solution
    is borrowing a kit from a friend. This is a legal method, as far as I
    know. The hobbyist licenses are all that you have to have of your own.
    Remember that you may only use these licenses for non-commercial (i.e.
    hobbyist) purposes.

    Google for the needed firmware (somewhere on the hp site) and install it
    before you instal VMS. On the web are several sites with getting started
    how-to's.
    (http://www.oooovms.dyndns.org/reference/sw_install/ is one of them)

    regards Ton.

  5. Re: OpenVMS and Tru64 Unix - how to get them ?

    Piotr Hosowicz wrote:

    > Ton van der Zwet wrote:
    >
    > > A possibility that worked in the past (I don't give any garantees ;-) )
    > > is to become an associated member of encompass.
    > >
    > > https://www.encompassus.org/secure/m...orm_type=ASSOC
    > >
    > > You can enlist for free via this american web site and depending on a
    > > few factors after a few hours/days You can try to get your licenses via
    > > the openvmshobbyist site.

    > Ok, I will try this, thanks Ton.
    >
    > > Do you have the media (Openvms cd's)?

    > No, I don't have the media. Will they send it to me or I have to get it
    > somehow on my own ?

    OpenVMSHobbyist.Org offers a media kit for $35US, but may be out of
    stock just now. Changes are coming for I64 that may be taking all their
    "cycles".

    You may also want to look at the comp.os.vms Usenet newsgroup. It's a
    bit "noisy" because VMS jobs are evaporating faster than the solvent in
    a white-board marker and folks will talk about almost anything to keep
    occupied. Generally, it's very helpful.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems