List of OpenVMS login account providers? - VMS

This is a discussion on List of OpenVMS login account providers? - VMS ; Is there a list of Internet Providers in the U.S. who offer OpenVMS login accounts? Two previous IP's have permanently powered off their only VMS Server and deleted my login account. I have searched for a new IP, but have ...

  1. List of OpenVMS login account providers?

    Is there a list of Internet Providers in the U.S. who offer
    OpenVMS login accounts? Two previous IP's have permanently powered off
    their only VMS Server and deleted my login account. I have searched
    for a new IP, but have found only two. One was in the U.K. and
    couldn't accept U.S. checks in payment, and the other required SSH
    access. Before my last account went away, I tested PuTTY and two other
    SSH programs. None of their VT320 emulations worked. EVE/TPU, via
    SSH, was completely unusable. I have been using Hummingbird's "Host
    Explorer" Telnet program and EVE/TPU to create and maintain my website
    for 11 years,
    http://www.folklib.net/
    I need an IP that offers a long-term OpenVMS login account that allows
    Telnet access to it. Anyone know of a company that does this?

  2. Re: List of OpenVMS login account providers?

    Doug Henkle wrote:

    > Is there a list of Internet Providers in the U.S. who offer
    > OpenVMS login accounts?

    Despite the page name in the URL,
    http://www.ductape.net/~mitja/freeunix.shtml mentions some sites with VMS
    accounts as well.

    Would the HP testdrive program fit your needs?

    > ... and the other required SSH
    > access. Before my last account went away, I tested PuTTY and two other
    > SSH programs. None of their VT320 emulations worked. EVE/TPU, via
    > SSH, was completely unusable. I have been using Hummingbird's "Host
    > Explorer" Telnet program and EVE/TPU to create and maintain my website
    > for 11 years,

    With Putty, you can set up a tunnel to the remote host. If the provider
    allows "telnet localhost", this could work for you.

    > http://www.folklib.net/

    On this page, you mention that you also tried to buy an Alphastation.
    This should be pretty easy these days. If you don't like eBay, check out
    www.islandco.com - I'm sure there are other used system traders as well.
    HP also sells used/refurbished hardware through its "Renew Program" - get
    details from http://www.hp.com/united-states/renew/ (AlphaStations DSx0
    are listed with the respective servers).

    Hope this helps,
    Hans.

  3. Re: List of OpenVMS login account providers?

    In article <1148737177.812474.311130@y43g2000cwc.googlegroups. com>, "Doug Henkle" writes:
    > Is there a list of Internet Providers in the U.S. who offer
    > OpenVMS login accounts? Two previous IP's have permanently powered off
    > their only VMS Server and deleted my login account. I have searched
    > for a new IP, but have found only two. One was in the U.K. and
    > couldn't accept U.S. checks in payment, and the other required SSH
    > access. Before my last account went away, I tested PuTTY and two other
    > SSH programs. None of their VT320 emulations worked. EVE/TPU, via
    > SSH, was completely unusable. I have been using Hummingbird's "Host
    > Explorer" Telnet program and EVE/TPU to create and maintain my website
    > for 11 years,
    > http://www.folklib.net/
    > I need an IP that offers a long-term OpenVMS login account that allows
    > Telnet access to it. Anyone know of a company that does this?

    How about right herre on EISNER? OR the DEATHROW cluster? Both offer free
    VMS accounts.

    www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org

    S&T is becoming this decades Steve Weaver!

  4. Re: List of OpenVMS login account providers?

    Bob Kaplow wrote:
    > In article <1148737177.812474.311130@y43g2000cwc.googlegroups. com>, "Doug Henkle" writes:
    > > Is there a list of Internet Providers in the U.S. who offer
    > > OpenVMS login accounts? Two previous IP's have permanently powered off...

    > How about right herre on EISNER? OR the DEATHROW cluster? Both offer free
    > VMS accounts.

    Thanks for the suggestion. I think I have been quite patient.

    >Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 06:14:42 -0500 (CDT)
    >Subject: VMS account?
    >To: Information@Encompasserve.org
    >
    >http://eisner.decus.org/
    >>Information about obtaining an account...

    I wrote EISNER 8 days ago about getting an account and have gotten
    no response of any kind. Has the company gone out of business?

  5. Re: List of OpenVMS login account providers?

    In article <1149623609.204863.14510@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.c om>, "Doug Henkle" writes:
    > Bob Kaplow wrote:
    >> In article <1148737177.812474.311130@y43g2000cwc.googlegroups. com>, "Doug Henkle" writes:
    >> > Is there a list of Internet Providers in the U.S. who offer
    >> > OpenVMS login accounts? Two previous IP's have permanently powered off...

    >> How about right herre on EISNER? OR the DEATHROW cluster? Both offer free
    >> VMS accounts.

    > Thanks for the suggestion. I think I have been quite patient.
    >
    >>Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 06:14:42 -0500 (CDT)
    >>Subject: VMS account?
    >>To: Information@Encompasserve.org
    >>
    >>http://eisner.decus.org/
    >>>Information about obtaining an account...

    > I wrote EISNER 8 days ago about getting an account and have gotten
    > no response of any kind. Has the company gone out of business?

    TELNET to encompasserve.org
    Log in as username REGISTRATION (no password)
    Answer the questions it asks you.
    You have an account.

    You don't have to wait for any one.

    www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org

    S&T is becoming this decades Steve Weaver!

  6. Re: List of OpenVMS login account providers?

    Bob Kaplow wrote:
    > TELNET to encompasserve.org
    > Log in as username REGISTRATION (no password)
    > Answer the questions it asks you.
    > You have an account.
    >
    > You don't have to wait for any one.

    I assume this is because my request for info accidently got sent
    to dev/null My new DECUServe account is up and running, thanks to your
    instructions. Now I can resume maintaining my website. Thanks to
    everyone in vmsnet.alpha who responded to my request either via "Reply"
    postings, or via direct E-Mail.
    __________________________________
    Doug Henkle

    http://www.folklib.net/
    FolkLib Index: A Library of Folk Music Links
    On-line since 11-25-1995

  7. Re: List of OpenVMS login account providers?

    Doug Henkle wrote:

    > Bob Kaplow wrote:
    > > TELNET to encompasserve.org
    > > Log in as username REGISTRATION (no password)
    > > Answer the questions it asks you.
    > > You have an account.
    > >
    > > You don't have to wait for any one.

    > I assume this is because my request for info accidently got sent
    > to dev/null My new DECUServe account is up and running, thanks to your
    > instructions. Now I can resume maintaining my website. Thanks to
    > everyone in vmsnet.alpha who responded to my request either via "Reply"
    > postings, or via direct E-Mail.

    Hi, Doug,

    For OpenVMS-related questions, you might also try the comp.os.vms Usenet
    newsgroup. It's a bit "noisy", but can be helpful.

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page