how to break cluster - VMS

This is a discussion on how to break cluster - VMS ; Hi I am very new for this group We have some OpenVMS cluster,my boss is asking me to break the cluster Can some one help me on this subject Thanks...

  1. how to break cluster

    Hi
    I am very new for this group
    We have some OpenVMS cluster,my boss is asking me to break the cluster
    Can some one help me on this subject
    Thanks

  2. Re: how to break cluster

    wrote:

    > Hi
    > I am very new for this group
    > We have some OpenVMS cluster,my boss is asking me to break the cluster
    > Can some one help me on this subject

    Please describe your current configuration (computers, storage) and what
    you mean with "break the cluster". Do you want to reconfigure it into
    individual standalone nodes? If so, why - what is the expected advantage?

    Hans.

  3. Re: how to break cluster

    abuaaaz@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hi
    > I am very new for this group
    > We have some OpenVMS cluster,my boss is asking me to break the cluster
    > Can some one help me on this subject
    > Thanks

    Consider posting your query to comp.os.vms. I cross-posted this reply to
    include that group.

    To "break" the cluster, just disconnect something vital...

    Humor aside, what is meant by "break the cluster"?

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    Coming soon:
    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page

  4. Re: how to break cluster

    David J Dachtera wrote:
    > To "break" the cluster, just disconnect something vital...

    A big hammer can do the job. So would a huge magnet, jackhammers,
    sandblaster directed at the cicuit boards, large cutters to snip all
    cables coming in and out of the machine.

    To take a node out of a cluster, you can:

    MC SYSGEN
    SYSGEN> USE CURRENT
    SYSGEN> SET VAXCLUSTER = 0
    SYSGEN> WRITE CURRENT

    Then reboot, and the machine will be out of the cluster. If you do that
    to all machines in the cluster, the cluster will no longer be active.
    But setting the parameters back on will re-enable it

    There are big caveats to this: If node B relies on access to drives
    served by node A, then node B will fail because it will no longer have
    access to A's drives.

    If there are drives that are shared at the hardware level (shared SCSI
    for instance), then there will not be any lock coordination between
    drives and you will get corruption in files if both nodes try to access
    the file at the same time.

    Also note that a node may rely on another node's system disk to boot. (a
    satellite node), and when you take that node out of the cluster. If so,
    you need to change the nodes's default boot device to its own local
    disk, as well as ensuring that its onw local disk has its own copy of
    VMS (and this entails copying all configuration files from that node's
    SYS$SPECIFIC tree from the server's disk to the node's own disk so when
    it boots "alone", it can see all its own files.

  5. Re: how to break cluster

    JF Mezei wrote:

    > To take a node out of a cluster, you can:
    >
    > MC SYSGEN SYSGEN> USE CURRENT SYSGEN> SET VAXCLUSTER = 0 SYSGEN> WRITE
    > CURRENT
    >

    > Then reboot, and the machine will be out of the cluster. If you do
    > that to all machines in the cluster, the cluster will no longer be
    > active. But setting the parameters back on will re-enable it

    But *DON'T* do this without reading the rest of JFs note. Nodes in a
    cluster share the system disk in many/nost cases, and just following the
    above advice will trash your system disks within a few seconds.

    So read on:

    > There are big caveats to this: If node B relies on access to drives
    > served by node A, then node B will fail because it will no longer have
    > access to A's drives.
    >
    > If there are drives that are shared at the hardware level (shared SCSI
    > for instance), then there will not be any lock coordination between
    > drives and you will get corruption in files if both nodes try to
    > access the file at the same time.
    >
    > Also note that a node may rely on another node's system disk to boot.
    > (a satellite node), and when you take that node out of the cluster. If
    > so, you need to change the nodes's default boot device to its own
    > local disk, as well as ensuring that its onw local disk has its own
    > copy of VMS (and this entails copying all configuration files from
    > that node's SYS$SPECIFIC tree from the server's disk to the node's own
    > disk so when it boots "alone", it can see all its own files.

    Hans.

  6. Re: how to break cluster

    On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 21:09:50 -0600, David J Dachtera
    wrote:

    > abuaaaz@gmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi
    >> I am very new for this group
    >> We have some OpenVMS cluster,my boss is asking me to break the cluster
    >> Can some one help me on this subject
    >> Thanks

    > Consider posting your query to comp.os.vms. I cross-posted this reply to
    > include that group.
    >
    > To "break" the cluster, just disconnect something vital...
    >
    > Humor aside, what is meant by "break the cluster"?

    You might want to ask your boss what he really wants.

  7. Re: how to break cluster

    I seem to remember a command procedure, @cluster$config.com or somesuch. Do
    a directory on sys$update and look for something in there that has cluster
    in the filename.

    rtt

    "David J Dachtera" wrote in message
    > abuaaaz@gmail.com wrote:
    > >
    > > Hi
    > > I am very new for this group
    > > We have some OpenVMS cluster,my boss is asking me to break the cluster
    > > Can some one help me on this subject
    > > Thanks

    > Consider posting your query to comp.os.vms. I cross-posted this reply to
    > include that group.
    >
    > To "break" the cluster, just disconnect something vital...
    >
    > Humor aside, what is meant by "break the cluster"?
    >
    > --
    > David J Dachtera
    > dba DJE Systems
    > http://www.djesys.com/
    >
    > Unofficial OpenVMS Hobbyist Support Page:
    > http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/
    >
    > Unofficial Affordable OpenVMS Home Page:
    > http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/
    >
    > Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    > http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/
    >
    > Coming soon:
    > Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page

  8. Re: how to break cluster

    Richard Tomkins wrote:

    > I seem to remember a command procedure, @cluster$config.com or somesuch. Do
    > a directory on sys$update and look for something in there that has cluster
    > in the filename.

    You're likely thinking of SYS$MANAGER:CLUSTER_CONFIG.COM (at least,
    there's one on V7.2-2).

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems