Question: ATX Powersupply For AlphaPC164 Motherboard - VMS

This is a discussion on Question: ATX Powersupply For AlphaPC164 Motherboard - VMS ; I have a couple of AlphaPC164 motherboards in cases that I use personally as workstations and file servers running OpenVMS. My problem is that one of the ATX power supplies in one of AlphaPC164's died on me. I read the ...

  1. Question: ATX Powersupply For AlphaPC164 Motherboard

    I have a couple of AlphaPC164 motherboards in cases that I use
    personally as workstations and file servers running OpenVMS.

    My problem is that one of the ATX power supplies in one of
    AlphaPC164's died on me. I read the manual that came with
    the motherboard and it says to use an ATX power supply. I bought
    the cases with power supplies quite some time back and they were
    designed to work with the AlphaPC164 motherboard.

    I go out and get a new modern ATX power supply, but it doesn't work, it
    won't power up and I ended up taking a power supply out of one of my
    OTHER working AlphaPC164 systems so I could at least get
    my e-mail server going.

    My question is, is it even possible to use a modern ATX
    power supply with this motherboard and if so, how? I would
    like to put in something more than a 350W power supply in it.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: Question: ATX Powersupply For AlphaPC164 Motherboard

    Robert Alan Byer wrote:
    > I have a couple of AlphaPC164 motherboards in cases that I use
    > personally as workstations and file servers running OpenVMS.
    >
    > My problem is that one of the ATX power supplies in one of
    > AlphaPC164's died on me. I read the manual that came with
    > the motherboard and it says to use an ATX power supply. I bought
    > the cases with power supplies quite some time back and they were
    > designed to work with the AlphaPC164 motherboard.
    >
    > I go out and get a new modern ATX power supply, but it doesn't work, it
    > won't power up and I ended up taking a power supply out of one of my
    > OTHER working AlphaPC164 systems so I could at least get
    > my e-mail server going.
    >
    > My question is, is it even possible to use a modern ATX
    > power supply with this motherboard and if so, how? I would
    > like to put in something more than a 350W power supply in it.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Robert,
    most current ATX cases use soft power controls instead of the old
    hard switches. There's a pin on the large connector that needs to be
    grounded to power the supply up; I don't remember which one. Even if
    the supply has a built in switch, the soft power has to be grounded for
    it to turn on.

    Rich

  3. Re: Question: ATX Powersupply For AlphaPC164 Motherboard

    wrote:

    > Robert Alan Byer wrote:

    >> My problem is that one of the ATX power supplies in one of
    >> AlphaPC164's died on me. I read the manual that came with
    >> the motherboard and it says to use an ATX power supply. I bought
    >> the cases with power supplies quite some time back and they were
    >> designed to work with the AlphaPC164 motherboard.
    >>
    >> I go out and get a new modern ATX power supply, but it doesn't work,

    > Robert,
    > most current ATX cases use soft power controls instead of the old
    > hard switches. There's a pin on the large connector that needs to be
    > grounded to power the supply up; I don't remember which one. Even if
    > the supply has a built in switch, the soft power has to be grounded for
    > it to turn on.

    You can find more details on http://www.omnistep.com/~advantag/pwrsup.htm
    Instead of soldering the bridge onto the mainboard, I grounded pin 14
    (green wire) of the power supply with a short piece of wire in the
    connector that plugs into the mainboard (e.g. to adjacent pin 15, black
    wire).

    Hope this helps,
    Hans.

  4. Re: Question: ATX Powersupply For AlphaPC164 Motherboard

    FYI I have a couple of the original NEW AXXION power supplies

    If you call ZIPPY (www.zippyusa.com) they could even build one for you

    Our price for the PS is $199

    Regards

    David

    --

    David B Turner
    Island Computers US Corp

    "Robert Alan Byer" wrote in message
    news:FYd0f.69927$vJ4.42156@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com. ..
    > I have a couple of AlphaPC164 motherboards in cases that I use
    > personally as workstations and file servers running OpenVMS.
    >
    > My problem is that one of the ATX power supplies in one of
    > AlphaPC164's died on me. I read the manual that came with
    > the motherboard and it says to use an ATX power supply. I bought
    > the cases with power supplies quite some time back and they were
    > designed to work with the AlphaPC164 motherboard.
    >
    > I go out and get a new modern ATX power supply, but it doesn't work, it
    > won't power up and I ended up taking a power supply out of one of my
    > OTHER working AlphaPC164 systems so I could at least get
    > my e-mail server going.
    >
    > My question is, is it even possible to use a modern ATX
    > power supply with this motherboard and if so, how? I would
    > like to put in something more than a 350W power supply in it.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

  5. Re: Question: ATX Powersupply For AlphaPC164 Motherboard

    I have one pulled from an AXP164
    Price is $150

    --
    David B Turner

    Island Computers US Corp
    PO Box 86
    Tybee GA 31328

    Toll Free: 1-877 636 4332 x201, Mobile x251
    Email: dturner@islandco.com
    International & Local: (001)- 404-806-7749
    Fax: 912 786 8505
    Web: www.islandco.com

    "Robert Alan Byer" wrote in message
    news:FYd0f.69927$vJ4.42156@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com. ..
    >I have a couple of AlphaPC164 motherboards in cases that I use personally
    >as workstations and file servers running OpenVMS.
    >
    > My problem is that one of the ATX power supplies in one of
    > AlphaPC164's died on me. I read the manual that came with
    > the motherboard and it says to use an ATX power supply. I bought
    > the cases with power supplies quite some time back and they were
    > designed to work with the AlphaPC164 motherboard.
    >
    > I go out and get a new modern ATX power supply, but it doesn't work, it
    > won't power up and I ended up taking a power supply out of one of my
    > OTHER working AlphaPC164 systems so I could at least get
    > my e-mail server going.
    >
    > My question is, is it even possible to use a modern ATX
    > power supply with this motherboard and if so, how? I would
    > like to put in something more than a 350W power supply in it.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

  6. Re: Question: ATX Powersupply For AlphaPC164 Motherboard

    I have one pulled from an AXP164
    Price is $150

    --
    David B Turner

    Island Computers US Corp
    PO Box 86
    Tybee GA 31328

    Toll Free: 1-877 636 4332 x201, Mobile x251
    Email: dturner@islandco.com
    International & Local: (001)- 404-806-7749
    Fax: 912 786 8505
    Web: www.islandco.com

    "Robert Alan Byer" wrote in message
    news:FYd0f.69927$vJ4.42156@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com. ..
    >I have a couple of AlphaPC164 motherboards in cases that I use personally
    >as workstations and file servers running OpenVMS.
    >
    > My problem is that one of the ATX power supplies in one of
    > AlphaPC164's died on me. I read the manual that came with
    > the motherboard and it says to use an ATX power supply. I bought
    > the cases with power supplies quite some time back and they were
    > designed to work with the AlphaPC164 motherboard.
    >
    > I go out and get a new modern ATX power supply, but it doesn't work, it
    > won't power up and I ended up taking a power supply out of one of my
    > OTHER working AlphaPC164 systems so I could at least get
    > my e-mail server going.
    >
    > My question is, is it even possible to use a modern ATX
    > power supply with this motherboard and if so, how? I would
    > like to put in something more than a 350W power supply in it.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

  7. Re: Question: ATX Powersupply For AlphaPC164 Motherboard

    oops

    A little late...
    Had my dates out of order !

    --

    "David Turner, Island Computers" wrote in message
    news:myDWj.134658$Er2.118712@bignews6.bellsouth.ne t...
    >I have one pulled from an AXP164
    > Price is $150
    >

    > --
    > David B Turner

    > Island Computers US Corp
    > PO Box 86
    > Tybee GA 31328
    >
    > Toll Free: 1-877 636 4332 x201, Mobile x251
    > Email: dturner@islandco.com
    > International & Local: (001)- 404-806-7749
    > Fax: 912 786 8505
    > Web: www.islandco.com

    > "Robert Alan Byer" wrote in message
    > news:FYd0f.69927$vJ4.42156@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com. ..
    >>I have a couple of AlphaPC164 motherboards in cases that I use personally
    >>as workstations and file servers running OpenVMS.
    >>
    >> My problem is that one of the ATX power supplies in one of
    >> AlphaPC164's died on me. I read the manual that came with
    >> the motherboard and it says to use an ATX power supply. I bought
    >> the cases with power supplies quite some time back and they were
    >> designed to work with the AlphaPC164 motherboard.
    >>
    >> I go out and get a new modern ATX power supply, but it doesn't work, it
    >> won't power up and I ended up taking a power supply out of one of my
    >> OTHER working AlphaPC164 systems so I could at least get
    >> my e-mail server going.
    >>
    >> My question is, is it even possible to use a modern ATX
    >> power supply with this motherboard and if so, how? I would
    >> like to put in something more than a 350W power supply in it.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.

  8. Re: Question: ATX Powersupply For AlphaPC164 Motherboard

    oops

    A little late...
    Had my dates out of order !

    --
    David B Turner

    Island Computers US Corp
    PO Box 86
    Tybee GA 31328

    Toll Free: 1-877 636 4332 x201, Mobile x251
    Email: dturner@islandco.com
    International & Local: (001)- 404-806-7749
    Fax: 912 786 8505
    Web: www.islandco.com

    "David Turner, Island Computers" wrote in message
    news:myDWj.134658$Er2.118712@bignews6.bellsouth.ne t...
    >I have one pulled from an AXP164
    > Price is $150
    >

    > --
    > David B Turner

    > Island Computers US Corp
    > PO Box 86
    > Tybee GA 31328
    >
    > Toll Free: 1-877 636 4332 x201, Mobile x251
    > Email: dturner@islandco.com
    > International & Local: (001)- 404-806-7749
    > Fax: 912 786 8505
    > Web: www.islandco.com

    > "Robert Alan Byer" wrote in message
    > news:FYd0f.69927$vJ4.42156@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com. ..
    >>I have a couple of AlphaPC164 motherboards in cases that I use personally
    >>as workstations and file servers running OpenVMS.
    >>
    >> My problem is that one of the ATX power supplies in one of
    >> AlphaPC164's died on me. I read the manual that came with
    >> the motherboard and it says to use an ATX power supply. I bought
    >> the cases with power supplies quite some time back and they were
    >> designed to work with the AlphaPC164 motherboard.
    >>
    >> I go out and get a new modern ATX power supply, but it doesn't work, it
    >> won't power up and I ended up taking a power supply out of one of my
    >> OTHER working AlphaPC164 systems so I could at least get
    >> my e-mail server going.
    >>
    >> My question is, is it even possible to use a modern ATX
    >> power supply with this motherboard and if so, how? I would
    >> like to put in something more than a 350W power supply in it.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.

+ Reply to Thread