AlphaStation 200 4/233 does not power up. - VMS

This is a discussion on AlphaStation 200 4/233 does not power up. - VMS ; Two weeks ago we had a power outage. Since then we cannot switch on an AlphaStation 200 4/233. If the power switch is pressed, a short click is heard from the internal speaker, but nothing else happens. No green LEDs. ...

  1. AlphaStation 200 4/233 does not power up.

    Two weeks ago we had a power outage.
    Since then we cannot switch on an AlphaStation 200 4/233.
    If the power switch is pressed, a short click is heard from the
    internal speaker, but nothing else happens. No green LEDs.
    Because of the click, we think that the power unit is still working,
    but some internal safety check on the mother board fails, which
    block the power.

    These systems are almost never switched off.
    A few years ago we had a similar problem with the same system,
    but then finally after pressing the power switch 10 or 20 times,
    the system started up. This time it does not seem to work.

    We hope that somebody has a suggestion to startup the system again,
    otherwise we have to dump it.

    F.Z.

  2. Re: AlphaStation 200 4/233 does not power up.

    Fred Zwarts wrote:
    > If the power switch is pressed, a short click is heard from the
    > internal speaker, but nothing else happens. No green LEDs.
    > Because of the click, we think that the power unit is still working,
    > but some internal safety check on the mother board fails, which
    > block the power.

    I would suspect your power supply. If the disk drive doesn't spin up and no
    green light comes on, it is more likely he power supply, and those tend to
    fail during power failures. (it could have been when power came back as well,
    often causes a surge of power).

    Here, Hydro Québec got enough complaints that they sent pamphlets to ALL
    customers advising them to get UPS to protect their computers from tHydro
    Québec's own power !

    The sound you hear from the speaker may be just a small surge of PC power that
    the power supply lets out before it dies.

    Normally, a power supply has its own internal fan. If that fan fails to spin
    up, then it is a definite sign that the power supply is shot.

    > but then finally after pressing the power switch 10 or 20 times,
    > the system started up. This time it does not seem to work.

    How long was the power failure this time ? Seconds ?

    My vaxstation 3100-30 won't power up if the power failure is less than a few
    seconds. The power supply needs to really "shut down" for a while before it is
    able to start up again.

  3. Re: AlphaStation 200 4/233 does not power up.

    In article , "Fred Zwarts" writes:
    >Two weeks ago we had a power outage.
    >Since then we cannot switch on an AlphaStation 200 4/233.
    >If the power switch is pressed, a short click is heard from the
    >internal speaker, but nothing else happens. No green LEDs.
    >Because of the click, we think that the power unit is still working,
    >but some internal safety check on the mother board fails, which
    >block the power.
    >
    >These systems are almost never switched off.
    >A few years ago we had a similar problem with the same system,
    >but then finally after pressing the power switch 10 or 20 times,
    >the system started up. This time it does not seem to work.
    >
    >We hope that somebody has a suggestion to startup the system again,
    >otherwise we have to dump it.

    Just a guess: replace or remove the internal battery.

    Regards,
    Christoph Gartmann

    Immunbiologie
    D-79011 Freiburg, Germany

  4. Re: AlphaStation 200 4/233 does not power up.

    Fred Zwarts wrote:
    > A few years ago we had a similar problem with the same system,
    > but then finally after pressing the power switch 10 or 20 times,
    > the system started up. This time it does not seem to work.

    Sounds like a weak power supply that has finally failed.

    > We hope that somebody has a suggestion to startup the system again,
    > otherwise we have to dump it.

    Open up the case and check the power supply outputs with a DMM.

  5. Re: AlphaStation 200 4/233 does not power up.

    Fred Zwarts wrote:
    > Two weeks ago we had a power outage.
    > Since then we cannot switch on an AlphaStation 200 4/233.
    > If the power switch is pressed, a short click is heard from the
    > internal speaker, but nothing else happens. No green LEDs.
    > Because of the click, we think that the power unit is still working,
    > but some internal safety check on the mother board fails, which
    > block the power.

    Several months ago, I shutdown my identical system after several
    years of continuous operation. When I tried to turn it back on,
    it had the identical symptoms to yours.

    The solution was to replace the power supply. I bought a
    replacement system (a 4/166) on eBay and discovered a few
    minor differences in the power supply and related components.
    The front fan and thermistor were different and required that
    I replace them along with the power supply. The entire job
    took about an hour or so. It is working fine now.

    Alan

  6. Re: AlphaStation 200 4/233 does not power up.

    "JF Mezei" wrote in message
    > Fred Zwarts wrote:
    >> If the power switch is pressed, a short click is heard from the
    >> internal speaker, but nothing else happens. No green LEDs.
    >> Because of the click, we think that the power unit is still working,
    >> but some internal safety check on the mother board fails, which
    >> block the power.

    > I would suspect your power supply. If the disk drive doesn't spin up and
    > no
    > green light comes on, it is more likely he power supply, and those tend to
    > fail during power failures. (it could have been when power came back as
    > well,
    > often causes a surge of power).
    >
    > Here, Hydro Québec got enough complaints that they sent pamphlets to ALL
    > customers advising them to get UPS to protect their computers from tHydro
    > Québec's own power !
    >
    > The sound you hear from the speaker may be just a small surge of PC power
    > that
    > the power supply lets out before it dies.
    >
    > Normally, a power supply has its own internal fan. If that fan fails to
    > spin
    > up, then it is a definite sign that the power supply is shot.

    Or that the fan is shot. Many Digital power supplies will shutdown again if
    their fan doesn't start. You might try manually rotating the fan to see if
    it stopped on a dead spot.

  7. Re: AlphaStation 200 4/233 does not power up.

    In article <41AF6160.8050400@Flying-Disk.com>, Alan writes:
    > Fred Zwarts wrote:
    >> Two weeks ago we had a power outage.
    >> Since then we cannot switch on an AlphaStation 200 4/233.
    >> If the power switch is pressed, a short click is heard from the
    >> internal speaker, but nothing else happens. No green LEDs.
    >> Because of the click, we think that the power unit is still working,
    >> but some internal safety check on the mother board fails, which
    >> block the power.

    > Several months ago, I shutdown my identical system after several
    > years of continuous operation. When I tried to turn it back on,
    > it had the identical symptoms to yours.
    >
    > The solution was to replace the power supply.

    I have needed that solution twice on a pair of AlphaStation 250 4/266
    systems (which have a similar physical arrangement to yours).

  8. Re: AlphaStation 200 4/233 does not power up.

    "Fred Zwarts" writes:

    >Two weeks ago we had a power outage.=20
    >Since then we cannot switch on an AlphaStation 200 4/233.
    >If the power switch is pressed, a short click is heard from the
    >internal speaker, but nothing else happens. No green LEDs.

    VERY common for alphastation 200 power supplies to die like this.
    The power supply comes on for a fraction of a second and then shuts
    down (either due to a defective safety circuit, or a safety circuit
    detecting a real problem). I have two that died the same exact way.
    One I replaced the power supply with a generic PC one, the other is
    still dead.

    The one I fixed (typing on it now) was a bit of a project. I had to
    replace the motherboard connectors as well as figure out what to do with
    every single output, and make sure I got everything right as the PC and
    alphastation power supplies used entirely different color codes for the
    different voltages to prevent frying things (blue and yellow were reversed
    for example, +/- 12 votes)
    --
    -Mike

  9. Re: AlphaStation 200 4/233 does not power up.

    Michael Moroney wrote:
    > "Fred Zwarts" writes:
    >

    >>Two weeks ago we had a power outage.=20
    >>Since then we cannot switch on an AlphaStation 200 4/233.
    >>If the power switch is pressed, a short click is heard from the
    >>internal speaker, but nothing else happens. No green LEDs.

    > VERY common for alphastation 200 power supplies to die like this.
    > The power supply comes on for a fraction of a second and then shuts
    > down (either due to a defective safety circuit, or a safety circuit
    > detecting a real problem). I have two that died the same exact way.
    > One I replaced the power supply with a generic PC one, the other is
    > still dead.
    >
    > The one I fixed (typing on it now) was a bit of a project. I had to
    > replace the motherboard connectors as well as figure out what to do with
    > every single output, and make sure I got everything right as the PC and
    > alphastation power supplies used entirely different color codes for the
    > different voltages to prevent frying things (blue and yellow were reversed
    > for example, +/- 12 votes)

    Could you post or let me have the pinouts anyhow? It could be handy for
    others not to have to experiment. (If my p/s goes, it won't help much in
    figuring that stuff out.)

    Thanks
    Glenn Everhart
    everhart@gce.com

  10. Re: AlphaStation 200 4/233 does not power up.

    Glenn Everhart writes:

    >Michael Moroney wrote:
    >>
    >> VERY common for alphastation 200 power supplies to die like this.
    >> The power supply comes on for a fraction of a second and then shuts
    >> down (either due to a defective safety circuit, or a safety circuit
    >> detecting a real problem). I have two that died the same exact way.
    >> One I replaced the power supply with a generic PC one, the other is
    >> still dead.
    >>
    >> The one I fixed (typing on it now) was a bit of a project. I had to
    >> replace the motherboard connectors as well as figure out what to do with
    >> every single output, and make sure I got everything right as the PC and
    >> alphastation power supplies used entirely different color codes for the
    >> different voltages to prevent frying things (blue and yellow were reversed
    >> for example, +/- 12 votes)

    >Could you post or let me have the pinouts anyhow? It could be handy for
    >others not to have to experiment. (If my p/s goes, it won't help much in
    >figuring that stuff out.)

    I knew I should have photographed/documented/written a web page on this.
    I will have to look it up. I do remember there were 4 6 wire plugs to the
    motherboard, 2 for +3.3V and ground, one for +5, -5 and ground, one
    for other voltages.
    --
    -Mike

+ Reply to Thread