Connecting to terminal server - VMS

This is a discussion on Connecting to terminal server - VMS ; Hello All, I have a terminal server by the name JATS100.This terminal server is connected to 7 computer test benches.I want to monitor the bench status.In order to do this in alpha server i am using the following command. mc ...

  1. Connecting to terminal server

    Hello All,

    I have a terminal server by the name JATS100.This terminal
    server is connected to 7 computer test benches.I want to monitor the bench
    status.In order to do this in alpha server i am using the following command.
    mc ncp
    after this command NCP> prompt is displayed.
    if i use
    CONNECT NODE JATS100 the following error is displayed
    %NCP-F-PRMLEN, parameter too long NODE \JATS100\
    Can you help how to connect to the termianl server from alpha server.
    with regards,
    radhakrishnan

  2. Re: Connecting to terminal server

    On Fri, 5 Nov 2004, radhakrishnan wrote:

    > if i use
    > CONNECT NODE JATS100 the following error is displayed
    > %NCP-F-PRMLEN, parameter too long NODE \JATS100\

    Although JATS100 may be the terminal server name, it is is not a
    DECnet node name. You have two choices:

    Either:

    $ NCP CONNECT NODE PHYSICAL ADDRESS xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx

    Or:

    NCP>DEFINE NODE a.nnn NAME JATS1C PHYSICAL ADDRESS xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx
    NCP>SET NODE a.nnn ALL
    $ NCP CONNECT NODE JATS1C

    xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx is the terminal server's Ethernet address.

    a.nnn is a DECnet address that you will make up. It needs to be
    unique, and the "a" part needs to be the same as the rest of the nodes
    in your network.

    JATS1C is a name I made up to be the name of your terminal server. A
    DECnet node name can be no more than 6 characters long.

    In my first example, you always connect to the terminal server by
    Ethernet address.

    In the second example, you define the node name in the DECnet database
    and associate it with the Ethernet address. Subsequently you can
    connect by node name.

    Note that I have given all of the above syntax from memory. Refer to
    NCP HELP or to the DECnet phase IV documentation if you need more
    information.

    If you are using DECnet phase V / DECnet OSI / DECnet-plus, you
    could (should?) use SET HOST/MOP instead.

    --

    Rob Brown b r o w n a t g m c l d o t c o m
    G. Michaels Consulting Ltd. (866)438-2101 (voice) toll free!

  3. Re: Connecting to terminal server

    On Fri, 5 Nov 2004, radhakrishnan wrote:

    > I have a terminal server by the name JATS100.This
    > terminal server is connected to 7 computer test benches.I want to
    > monitor the bench status.In order to do this in alpha server i am
    > using the following command.

    > Can you help how to connect to the termianl server from alpha
    > server.

    Depending on what you mean by "monitor the bench status", after
    connecting to the terminal server, you may still not be able to
    do what you want.

    Presumably you have serial lines running from your test computers to
    the terminal server. Correct?

    And you want to collect the data from all of these serial lines onto
    your alpha-server?

    Then you need to define the ports on the terminal server with access
    REMOTE, and some other things. You may want to define services for
    these ports, or maybe not. Do all of this at the LOCAL> (or whatever)
    prompt on the terminal server. Type HELP DEFINE PORT for more
    information.

    Then you need to define LAT ports on your alpha server. What version
    of VMS? Run LATCP and use CREATE PORT and DEFINE port commands to
    associate LTAnnn to terminal-server AND port/service for each line to
    be monitored. Use the LATCP HELP command to learn more.

    The LATCP commands are only good until the next boot. You need to add
    them to SYS$MANAGER:LAT$SYSTARTUP.COM.

    Now you have LTAnnn: devices that your monitoring application can
    read.

    --

    Rob Brown b r o w n a t g m c l d o t c o m
    G. Michaels Consulting Ltd. (866)438-2101 (voice) toll free!
    Edmonton (780)438-9343 (voice)
    (780)437-3367 (FAX)
    http://gmcl.com/

+ Reply to Thread