Problem running Perl with a huge logical name table - VMS

This is a discussion on Problem running Perl with a huge logical name table - VMS ; Hello, I'm trying to use Perl on OpenVMS, and for the most part it works -- until I touch the %ENV table. The system I'm on has a lot of legacy baggage and some of that is in a very ...

  1. Problem running Perl with a huge logical name table

    Hello,

    I'm trying to use Perl on OpenVMS, and for the most part it works --
    until I touch the %ENV table. The system I'm on has a lot of legacy
    baggage and some of that is in a very large logical name table. It
    contains about 24,000 entries, and causes Perl to stall for two or
    three minutes as it loads up a megabyte of symbols.

    Ironically, the huge name table doesn't contain any symbols I'm
    interested in, so I was wondering if there was some way of hiding that
    particular table from my Perl processes.

    I'm not an OpenVMS afficionado, so please speak slowly when you answer
    :-)

    Thanks,

    Greg C

  2. Re: Problem running Perl with a huge logical name table

    Greg C wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm trying to use Perl on OpenVMS, and for the most part it works --
    > until I touch the %ENV table. The system I'm on has a lot of legacy
    > baggage and some of that is in a very large logical name table. It
    > contains about 24,000 entries, and causes Perl to stall for two or
    > three minutes as it loads up a megabyte of symbols.
    >
    > Ironically, the huge name table doesn't contain any symbols I'm
    > interested in, so I was wondering if there was some way of hiding that
    > particular table from my Perl processes.
    >
    > I'm not an OpenVMS afficionado, so please speak slowly when you answer
    > :-)

    Well, you'll get more VMS answers over in comp.os.vms.

    In a nutshell, it may be possible to hide the huge LNM table from perl
    temporarily, but you'll need some expert advice.

    Try c.o.v.

    D.J.D.

  3. Re: Problem running Perl with a huge logical name table

    David J Dachtera wrote in message
    [...]
    > Try c.o.v.
    >
    > D.J.D.