Mozilla on Alpha question - VMS

This is a discussion on Mozilla on Alpha question - VMS ; Hello I have a DEC Alpha 500/333 with Open VMS v 7.3 Console v 7.2-2 TCPIP 5.1-15 DecWindows Motif v 1.2-6 and 320 meg of memory I am having difficulty getting Mozilla v 1.4 to run. It apprears to have ...

  1. Mozilla on Alpha question

    Hello

    I have a DEC Alpha 500/333 with Open VMS v 7.3
    Console v 7.2-2
    TCPIP 5.1-15
    DecWindows Motif v 1.2-6
    and 320 meg of memory

    I am having difficulty getting Mozilla v 1.4 to run.
    It apprears to have installed properly, but when I invoke @mozilla, it says
    running mozilla.bin, and then comes back to the command prompt.

    I was expecting a new window with the pre-installed Netscape browser to come
    up.

    Any ideas on how to diagnose this problem?
    Any more info needed?

    If this is the wrong newsgroup, I appologize and would appreciate being
    directed to a more appropriate newsgroup area.

    Russ

    P.s. I am a VMS novice to intermediate, please be patient.

  2. Re: Mozilla on Alpha question

    In article <4006ea18_4@news1.prserv.net>, writes:
    !Hello
    !
[...]

    This NG has become the refuge of the .es Divx scoundrels - your question would
    be better posted in comp.os.vms. This *would* be an OK place to post, except
    for the above-named thugs...

    !Russ
    !
    !P.s. I am a VMS novice to intermediate, please be patient.
    !

    They're a good bunch up there - no need for flame-retardant clothing...

    !

    Bradford J. Hamilton "All opinions are my own"
    bMradAhamiPltSon-at-coMmcAast.nPeSt "Lose the MAPS, and replace '-at-'
    with @"

  3. Re: Mozilla on Alpha question

    In article <0bCNb.75082$8H.113300@attbi_s03>, brad@.gateway.2wire.net (Bradford J. Hamilton) writes:
    > This NG has become the refuge of the .es Divx scoundrels - your question would
    > be better posted in comp.os.vms. This *would* be an OK place to post, except
    > for the above-named thugs...

    I've noticed a distinct lack of such crap here lately. Either my killfile is
    blocking all of it, the cancelbots are doing a better job, or it's finally
    gone back under the rock it crawled out from.

    may they all rot in h3!!

    Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L TRA # "Impeach the TRA BoD"
    >>> To reply, remove the TRABoD! <<<

    Kaplow Klips & Baffle: http://nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/Phantom4000.pdf
    www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org

  4. Re: Mozilla on Alpha question

    In article , kaplow_r@encompasserve.org.TRABoD (Bob Kaplow) writes:
    !snip!
    !I've noticed a distinct lack of such crap here lately. Either my killfile is
    !blocking all of it, the cancelbots are doing a better job, or it's finally
    !gone back under the rock it crawled out from.
    !

    True - I hadn't realized that until you mentioned it.

    Well - this is vmsnet.alpha - has anyone actually run across an instance of
    hp/VMS invoking prior version support when answering a customer inquiry?

    I support a number of "older" Alpha machines, running PVS-"liable" versions of
    VMS (pre-v7.2-2); however, on the few times I've need to call Colorado, no one
    seems to blink an eye when I report a problem with these versions. They answer
    my questions (even if they need to do research, or call in "experts"), and not
    a word about PVS. Our support contract is "only" 5X9.

    I suppose I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, but I'd like to have some
    "assurance" that, until I can get the machines up to "current" levels, I won't
    invoke PVS charges.

    What have other folks experienced?

    (I'm asking this question here in the hope that this NG can be "reclaimed" by
    it's rightful users.)

    !may they all rot in h3!!
    !
    ! Save Model Rocketry from the HSA! http://www.space-rockets.com/congress.html

    Bradford J. Hamilton "All opinions are my own"
    bMradAhamiPltSon-at-coMmcAast.nPeSt "Lose the MAPS, and replace '-at-'
    with @"

  5. Re: Mozilla on Alpha question

    In article , brad@.gateway.2wire.net (Bradford J. Hamilton) writes:
    > In article , kaplow_r@encompasserve.org.TRABoD (Bob Kaplow) writes:
    > !snip!
    > !I've noticed a distinct lack of such crap here lately. Either my killfile is
    > !blocking all of it, the cancelbots are doing a better job, or it's finally
    > !gone back under the rock it crawled out from.
    > !
    >
    > True - I hadn't realized that until you mentioned it.
    >
    > Well - this is vmsnet.alpha - has anyone actually run across an instance of
    > hp/VMS invoking prior version support when answering a customer inquiry?
    >
    > I support a number of "older" Alpha machines, running PVS-"liable" versions of
    > VMS (pre-v7.2-2); however, on the few times I've need to call Colorado, no one
    > seems to blink an eye when I report a problem with these versions. They answer
    > my questions (even if they need to do research, or call in "experts"), and not
    > a word about PVS. Our support contract is "only" 5X9.
    >
    > I suppose I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, but I'd like to have some
    > "assurance" that, until I can get the machines up to "current" levels, I won't
    > invoke PVS charges.
    >
    > What have other folks experienced?
    >
    > (I'm asking this question here in the hope that this NG can be "reclaimed" by
    > it's rightful users.)

    As a matter of fact, we are running Alpha VMS 7.3-1 but also have an old
    VAX/VMS 5.5-2 cluster. And we do have prior version support for the 5.5-2
    system. We also have 24x7 "silver" support.

    But here is how I understand what happens without and with PVS:

    Without PVS, they will still talk to you, and make a best effort basis to
    answer your questions. But NOTHING gets elevated to engineering.

    With PVS, if you encounter a problem, they WILL elevate it to engineering,
    and engineering WILL produce a patch if necessary to fix your problem.