Console on VAX - VMS

This is a discussion on Console on VAX - VMS ; I recently hooked up a Xyplex terminal server to the serioal ports of the various nodes. I had to shutdown the VAX 7.3 4000/90 in order to expand a shadow set. So I log in through the console and go ...

  1. Console on VAX

    I recently hooked up a Xyplex terminal server to the serioal ports of the
    various nodes. I had to shutdown the VAX 7.3 4000/90 in order to expand a
    shadow set.

    So I log in through the console and go thru the shutdown. No >>> but a
    message telling me to hit the console to shutdown.

    I did that, but thinkinbg that the CONSOLE variable must not be correctly
    set
    I see that its value is 00000001. Is this the correct setting? Is there
    perhaps
    another interfering variable?

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  2. Re: Console on VAX

    Tom Linden wrote:
    > So I log in through the console and go thru the shutdown. No >>> but a
    > message telling me to hit the console to shutdown.
    >
    > I did that, but thinkinbg that the CONSOLE variable must not be correctly
    > set

    That is normal behaviour for VAX.

    VAX machines normally have a hardware switch to tell them to either boot
    automatically after power is applied to the machine or go to console.
    And this switch greatly affects how you get into >>> mode.

  3. Re: Console on VAX

    In article <57177$470bb5ad$cef8887a$32601@teksavvy.com>,
    JF Mezei writes:
    > Tom Linden wrote:
    >> So I log in through the console and go thru the shutdown. No >>> but a
    >> message telling me to hit the console to shutdown.
    >>
    >> I did that, but thinkinbg that the CONSOLE variable must not be correctly
    >> set

    > That is normal behaviour for VAX.
    >
    > VAX machines normally have a hardware switch to tell them to either boot
    > automatically after power is applied to the machine or go to console.
    > And this switch greatly affects how you get into >>> mode.

    Ummmm...... Greatly dependant on what model VAX you are looking
    at. Some had no switches of any sort beyond the keyswitch used
    to power them on.

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  4. Re: Console on VAX

    On Oct 9, 10:15 am, b...@cs.uofs.edu (Bill Gunshannon) wrote:
    > In article <57177$470bb5ad$cef8887a$32...@teksavvy.com>,
    > JF Mezei writes:
    >
    > > Tom Linden wrote:
    > >> So I log in through the console and go thru the shutdown. No >>> but a
    > >> message telling me to hit the console to shutdown.

    > >> I did that, but thinkinbg that the CONSOLE variable must not be correctly
    > >> set

    > > That is normal behaviour for VAX.

    > > VAX machines normally have a hardware switch to tell them to either boot
    > > automatically after power is applied to the machine or go to console.
    > > And this switch greatly affects how you get into >>> mode.

    > Ummmm...... Greatly dependant on what model VAX you are looking
    > at. Some had no switches of any sort beyond the keyswitch used
    > to power them on.
    >
    > bill
    >
    > --
    > Bill Gunshannon | de-moc-ra-cy (di mok' ra see) n. Three wolves
    > b...@cs.scranton.edu | and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    > University of Scranton |
    > Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

    Some of the old vaxes would halt with a framing error, when a break is
    sent to
    it. see if you can pass a break to it. with powerterm, click
    cinnunication, click utilities, click break. putty can pass it to.

  5. Re: Console on VAX

    On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 10:15:37 -0700, Bill Gunshannon
    wrote:

    > In article <57177$470bb5ad$cef8887a$32601@teksavvy.com>,
    > JF Mezei writes:
    >> Tom Linden wrote:
    >>> So I log in through the console and go thru the shutdown. No >>> but a
    >>> message telling me to hit the console to shutdown.
    >>>
    >>> I did that, but thinkinbg that the CONSOLE variable must not be
    >>> correctly
    >>> set

    >> That is normal behaviour for VAX.
    >>
    >> VAX machines normally have a hardware switch to tell them to either boot
    >> automatically after power is applied to the machine or go to console.
    >> And this switch greatly affects how you get into >>> mode.

    > Ummmm...... Greatly dependant on what model VAX you are looking
    > at. Some had no switches of any sort beyond the keyswitch used
    > to power them on.
    >
    > bill

    This is a 4000/90 and I have the S3 switch in up position

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  6. Re: Console on VAX

    On Oct 9, 12:18 pm, "Tom Linden" wrote:
    > So I log in through the console and go thru the shutdown. No >>> but a
    > message telling me to hit the console to shutdown.

    Some of the VAXes require a CTRL-P at the end of the shutdown in order
    to get the >>> prompt.

  7. Re: Console on VAX

    On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 11:26:36 -0700, FrankS wrote:

    > On Oct 9, 12:18 pm, "Tom Linden" wrote:
    >> So I log in through the console and go thru the shutdown. No >>> but a
    >> message telling me to hit the console to shutdown.

    > Some of the VAXes require a CTRL-P at the end of the shutdown in order
    > to get the >>> prompt.

    Tried that, but it was not responsive

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  8. Re: Console on VAX

    "Tom Linden" wrote in message
    newsp.tzxylgtthv4qyg@murphus...
    > On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 10:15:37 -0700, Bill Gunshannon
    > wrote:
    >
    >> In article <57177$470bb5ad$cef8887a$32601@teksavvy.com>,
    >> JF Mezei writes:

    >>> That is normal behaviour for VAX.
    >>>
    >>> VAX machines normally have a hardware switch to tell them to either boot
    >>> automatically after power is applied to the machine or go to console.
    >>> And this switch greatly affects how you get into >>> mode.

    >> Ummmm...... Greatly dependant on what model VAX you are looking
    >> at. Some had no switches of any sort beyond the keyswitch used
    >> to power them on.
    >>
    >> bill
    >>

    > This is a 4000/90 and I have the S3 switch in up position

    It's probably telling you this:

    SYSTEM SHUTDOWN COMPLETE, USE CONSOLE TO HALT SYSTEM

    The halt mechanism for the VAXstation 4000-90 is to press the halt button on
    the front of the system.

    As another mentioned, you can sometimes trick the system into halting by
    sending some type of misaligned character. The earlier Xyplex terminal
    servers did such at terminal server powerup. After the Xyplex powerup, one
    could find all their systems at the >>> prompt.

    -Jeff

    > --
    > PL/I for OpenVMS
    > www.kednos.com

  9. Re: Console on VAX

    In article <470bff33$0$32507$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>, "Jeff Goodwin" writes:

    > It's probably telling you this:
    >
    > SYSTEM SHUTDOWN COMPLETE, USE CONSOLE TO HALT SYSTEM
    >
    > The halt mechanism for the VAXstation 4000-90 is to press the halt button on
    > the front of the system.

    My recollection is that VAX/VMS has been programmed to require manual
    intervention all models, thus providing a consistent user experience.
    Asking for auto reboot is the only supported mechanism for avoiding
    manual intervention after running SHUTDOWN.COM.

    Power failure situations are handled differently.

  10. Re: Console on VAX

    On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 15:55:47 -0700, Larry Kilgallen
    wrote:

    > In article <470bff33$0$32507$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>, "Jeff Goodwin"
    > writes:
    >
    >> It's probably telling you this:
    >>
    >> SYSTEM SHUTDOWN COMPLETE, USE CONSOLE TO HALT SYSTEM
    >>
    >> The halt mechanism for the VAXstation 4000-90 is to press the halt
    >> button on
    >> the front of the system.

    > My recollection is that VAX/VMS has been programmed to require manual
    > intervention all models, thus providing a consistent user experience.
    > Asking for auto reboot is the only supported mechanism for avoiding
    > manual intervention after running SHUTDOWN.COM.
    >
    > Power failure situations are handled differently

    ..
    Stephen, in private email suggested that if I can get the Xyplex to
    send a break character as Jeff also indicated it should get back to
    the SRM prompt. The whole purpose of being able to do this is to
    remotely control the operation

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  11. Re: Console on VAX

    Tom Linden wrote:

    > I recently hooked up a Xyplex terminal server to the serioal ports of the
    > various nodes. I had to shutdown the VAX 7.3 4000/90 in order to expand a
    > shadow set.
    >
    > So I log in through the console and go thru the shutdown. No >>> but a
    > message telling me to hit the console to shutdown.
    >
    > I did that, but thinkinbg that the CONSOLE variable must not be correctly
    > set
    > I see that its value is 00000001. Is this the correct setting? Is there
    > perhaps
    > another interfering variable?

    You may need to be able to send a BREAK signal (in leiu of the interrupt button)
    to get to the dead sargeant, and that may require the "alternate console", if
    the 4000/90 does that shtick.

    FWIW...

    --
    David J Dachtera
    dba DJE Systems

    Unofficial OpenVMS Marketing Home Page
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/market/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/soho/

    Unofficial OpenVMS-IA32 Home Page:
    http://www.djesys.com/vms/ia32/

    http://www.djesys.com/vms/support/

  12. Re: Console on VAX

    In article <470C2ACD.F18F3162@spam.comcast.net>, David J Dachtera writes:

    >Tom Linden wrote:
    >>
    >> I recently hooked up a Xyplex terminal server to the serioal ports of the
    >> various nodes. I had to shutdown the VAX 7.3 4000/90 in order to expand a
    >> shadow set.
    >>
    >> So I log in through the console and go thru the shutdown. No >>> but a
    >> message telling me to hit the console to shutdown.
    >>
    >> I did that, but thinkinbg that the CONSOLE variable must not be correctly
    >> set
    >> I see that its value is 00000001. Is this the correct setting? Is there
    >> perhaps
    >> another interfering variable?

    >You may need to be able to send a BREAK signal (in leiu of the interrupt button)
    >to get to the dead sargeant, and that may require the "alternate console", if
    >the 4000/90 does that shtick.
    >
    >FWIW...

    I haven't touched a Xyplex terminal server since my .Mil days. DECservers can
    have ports set to pass a break through to the connected server -- DEFINE PORT
    BREAK REMOTE. I have a 4000/96 here Tom if you'd like to have me test it out
    for you.

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  13. Re: Console on VAX

    On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 04:32:50 -0700, VAXman- <@SendSpamHere.ORG> wrote:

    > In article <470C2ACD.F18F3162@spam.comcast.net>, David J Dachtera
    > writes:
    >>

    >> Tom Linden wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I recently hooked up a Xyplex terminal server to the serioal ports of
    >>> the
    >>> various nodes. I had to shutdown the VAX 7.3 4000/90 in order to
    >>> expand a
    >>> shadow set.
    >>>
    >>> So I log in through the console and go thru the shutdown. No >>> but a
    >>> message telling me to hit the console to shutdown.
    >>>
    >>> I did that, but thinkinbg that the CONSOLE variable must not be
    >>> correctly
    >>> set
    >>> I see that its value is 00000001. Is this the correct setting? Is
    >>> there
    >>> perhaps
    >>> another interfering variable?

    >> You may need to be able to send a BREAK signal (in leiu of the
    >> interrupt button)
    >> to get to the dead sargeant, and that may require the "alternate
    >> console", if
    >> the 4000/90 does that shtick.
    >>
    >> FWIW...

    > I haven't touched a Xyplex terminal server since my .Mil days.
    > DECservers can
    > have ports set to pass a break through to the connected server -- DEFINE
    > PORT
    > BREAK REMOTE. I have a 4000/96 here Tom if you'd like to have me test
    > it out
    > for you.

    Yes, please.

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

  14. Re: Console on VAX

    "Tom Linden" wrote in message
    newsp.tzyc2ohnhv4qyg@murphus.linden...
    > On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 15:55:47 -0700, Larry Kilgallen
    > wrote:
    >
    >> In article <470bff33$0$32507$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>, "Jeff Goodwin"
    >> writes:
    >>
    >>> It's probably telling you this:
    >>>
    >>> SYSTEM SHUTDOWN COMPLETE, USE CONSOLE TO HALT SYSTEM
    >>>
    >>> The halt mechanism for the VAXstation 4000-90 is to press the halt
    >>> button on
    >>> the front of the system.

    >> My recollection is that VAX/VMS has been programmed to require manual
    >> intervention all models, thus providing a consistent user experience.
    >> Asking for auto reboot is the only supported mechanism for avoiding
    >> manual intervention after running SHUTDOWN.COM.
    >>
    >> Power failure situations are handled differently

    > .
    > Stephen, in private email suggested that if I can get the Xyplex to
    > send a break character as Jeff also indicated it should get back to
    > the SRM prompt. The whole purpose of being able to do this is to
    > remotely control the operation

    I happen to have a 4000-90 connected to the console serial port under the
    control of ConsoleWorks. ConsoleWorks has the option to send a break via a
    pulldown menu option on the Java terminal emulator it provides.

    The results:

    NODE07 Oct 10 08:38:28 2007 <| NODE07_SYS$
    NODE07 Oct 10 08:38:28 2007 <|
    NODE07 Oct 10 08:38:48 2007 *| Character [Break] sent by VMSDEV_CONSOLE from
    n.n.n.n
    NODE07 Oct 10 08:38:49 2007 <| NODE07_SYS$
    NODE07 Oct 10 08:38:49 2007 <| ?02 EXT HLT
    NODE07 Oct 10 08:38:49 2007 <| PC= 84345D34 PSL= 04C30000
    NODE07 Oct 10 08:38:49 2007 <|
    NODE07 Oct 10 08:38:50 2007 <| >>> ^
    NODE07 Oct 10 08:38:50 2007 <|
    NODE07 Oct 10 08:38:51 2007 <|
    NODE07 Oct 10 08:38:51 2007 <|
    NODE07 Oct 10 08:38:51 2007 *| Detected event HALTED_002 - Console Front-end
    prompt
    NODE07 Oct 10 08:38:51 2007 <| >>>
    NODE07 Oct 10 08:38:51 2007 <|
    NODE07 Oct 10 08:38:51 2007 *| Detected event HALTED_002 - Console Front-end
    prompt
    NODE07 Oct 10 08:38:53 2007 <| >>> cont
    NODE07 Oct 10 08:38:53 2007 *| Detected event HALTED_002 - Console Front-end
    prompt
    NODE07 Oct 10 08:38:54 2007 <|
    NODE07 Oct 10 08:38:54 2007 <|
    NODE07 Oct 10 08:38:54 2007 <| NODE07_SYS$

    I'm not sure how ConsoleWorks implemented the break, but pressing the Break
    key on my PC did not work.

    -Jeff

    > --
    > PL/I for OpenVMS
    > www.kednos.com

  15. Re: Console on VAX

    In article , "Tom Linden" writes:
    {...snip...}
    >> I haven't touched a Xyplex terminal server since my .Mil days.
    >> DECservers can
    >> have ports set to pass a break through to the connected server -- DEFINE
    >> PORT
    >> BREAK REMOTE. I have a 4000/96 here Tom if you'd like to have me test
    >> it out
    >> for you.

    >Yes, please.

    DECserver 90TL using a breakout box and some converters change from
    8 pin RJ modular jack on DECserver 90TL to 6 pin MMJ modular on VAX
    4000/96.

    DECserver port settings:
    =======================
    Port 7: Server: DS90TL2

    Character Size: 8 Input Speed: 9600
    Flow Control: XON Output Speed: 9600
    Parity: None Signal Control: Disabled
    Stop Bits: Dynamic

    Access: Remote Local Switch: None
    Backwards Switch: None Name: PORT_7
    Break: Remote Session Limit: 4
    Forwards Switch: None Type: Ansi
    Default Protocol: LAT

    Preferred Service: None

    Authorized Groups: 0
    (Current) Groups: 0

    Enabled Characteristics:
    Input Flow Control, Output Flow Control

    Local>

    On Alpha:
    ========
    $ MCR LATCP SHOW PORT $CONSOLE

    Local Port Name: _LTA333: Local Port Type: Application (Queued)
    Local Port State: Active
    Connected Link: LAT$LINK_1

    Target Port Name: PORT_7 Actual Port Name: PORT_7
    Target Node Name: DS90TL2 Actual Node Name: DS90TL2
    Target Service Name: Actual Service Name:

    $ SET HOST/DTE $CONSOLE

    %REM-I-TOQUIT, connection established

    Press Ctrl/\ to quit, Ctrl/@ for command mode

    >>> SHOW CONFIG

    KA49-A V1.4-0D0-V4.4 100 MHZ
    08-00-2B-2B-03-7C
    80MB

    DEVNBR DEVNAM INFO
    ------ -------- --------------------------
    1 NVR OK
    2 LCSPX OK
    Highres 72Hz - 8 Plane 4Mpixel FB - V1.1
    3 DZ OK
    4 CACHE OK
    5 MEM OK
    80MB 0A,0B,0C,0D=16MB, 1E,1F,1G,1H=4MB
    6 FPU OK
    7 IT OK
    8 SYS OK
    9 NI OK
    10 SCSI OK
    0-L0-2112-15 1-L0-2112-15 6-INITR
    11 AUD OK
    13 TCA OK
    OPT PRS V1.0

    >>> BOOT

    -DKA0
    %SYSBOOT-I-SYSBOOT Mapping the SYSDUMP.DMP on the System Disk
    %SYSBOOT-I-SYSBOOT SYSDUMP.DMP on System Disk successfully mapped
    %SYSBOOT-I-SYSBOOT Mapping PAGEFILE.SYS on the System Disk
    %SYSBOOT-I-SYSBOOT SAVEDUMP parameter not set to protect the PAGEFILE.SYS
    OpenVMS (TM) VAX Version V7.2 Major version id = 1 Minor version id = 0
    %DECnet-I-LOADED, network base image loaded, version = 05.0D.00

    PLEASE ENTER DATE AND TIME (DD-MMM-YYYY HH:MM) {At this point I type CTRL-]}
    ?02 EXT HLT
    PC= 8484CD47 PSL= 04030004

    CTRL-] sends a break. The DECserver port is setup with Break: REMOTE so that
    a break is passed through.

    If you want to check it out for yourself, let me know. I can setup a login
    for you to play around with this.

    FYI, I forgot how *loud* the drives were in this VAXstation 4000/96. %)

    http://tmesis.com/drat.html

  16. Solved: Console on VAX

    On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 09:28:51 -0700, VAXman- <@SendSpamHere.ORG> wrote:

> [...]

    > %SYSBOOT-I-SYSBOOT Mapping PAGEFILE.SYS on the System Disk
    > %SYSBOOT-I-SYSBOOT SAVEDUMP parameter not set to protect the PAGEFILE.SYS
    > OpenVMS (TM) VAX Version V7.2 Major version id = 1 Minor version
    > id = 0
    > %DECnet-I-LOADED, network base image loaded, version = 05.0D.00
    >
    > PLEASE ENTER DATE AND TIME (DD-MMM-YYYY HH:MM) {At this point I type
    > CTRL-]}
    > ?02 EXT HLT
    > PC= 8484CD47 PSL= 04030004
    >

    > CTRL-] sends a break. The DECserver port is setup with Break: REMOTE so
    > that
    > a break is passed through.
    >
    > If you want to check it out for yourself, let me know. I can setup a
    > login
    > for you to play around with this.
    >
    > FYI, I forgot how *loud* the drives were in this VAXstation 4000/96. %)

    FREJA> console hermes
    Connecting to HERMES
    LOGOUT from VMS, then CTRL-], and CTRL-Z to exit
    %DCL-S-SPAWNED, process >HERMES OPA0 spawned
    %DCL-S-ATTACHED, terminal now attached to process >HERMES OPA0
    %TELNET-I-TRYING, Trying ... 10.0.0.160
    %TELNET-I-SESSION, Session 01, host xyplex, port 2600
    -TELNET-I-ESCAPE, Escape character is ^]

    Welcome to OpenVMS (TM) VAX Operating System, Version V7.3

    Username: tom
    Password:
    Welcome to OpenVMS (TM) VAX Operating System, Version V7.3
    Last interactive login on Thursday, 11-OCT-2007 09:05
    Last non-interactive login on Wednesday, 3-OCT-2007 08:30
    $ @sys$system:shutdown
    %SHUTDOWN-I-DISMOUNT, all volumes will now be dismounted
    SYSTEM SHUTDOWN COMPLETE - use console to halt system
    (at this point I hit ctrl-] which gets me back to telnet)
    TELNET> send brk
    %TELNET-I-SESSION, Session 01, host xyplex, port 2600
    ?02 EXT HLT
    PC= 8729EAE2 PSL= 001F0000

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS