Re: UNIX equivalent of VMS group logicals? - VMS

This is a discussion on Re: UNIX equivalent of VMS group logicals? - VMS ; From: Mike > We have a bunch of in-house applications written in C, running on > Alpha OpenVMS V8.3. These applications use the system service sys > $trnlnm to read group logicals, which contain options controlling > their behaviour (e.g. ...

  1. Re: UNIX equivalent of VMS group logicals?

    From: Mike

    > We have a bunch of in-house applications written in C, running on
    > Alpha OpenVMS V8.3. These applications use the system service sys
    > $trnlnm to read group logicals, which contain options controlling
    > their behaviour (e.g. logging level verbosity). The logicals can be
    > changed on the command line by privileged users.
    >
    > We are looking to port some of these applications to Solaris 10, and
    > as a UNIX novice, I am struggling to find something equivalent in
    > Solaris to the OpenVMS group logicals. Can anyone here suggest an
    > equivalent?

    I doubt it. About the closest thing on UNIX might be environment
    variables, which are process-specific, and not easily susceptible to
    change from outside.

    I suppose that you could put the data into a file somewhere, and have
    the application read the file when it starts. Write permission on that
    configuration file could be restricted to your privileged users. If you
    need to change things on the fly, then the app could re-read the config
    file as needed.

    You might also be able to rig up some shared memory, read-only for
    the application, read-write for a (new) control program. Or some other
    kind of inter-process communication which could interrogate a (new)
    server program which would act as a repository for the info.

    Many things are possible, but if you find anything as nice as logical
    names, be sure to let us know. I don't claim exhaustive knowledge, but
    I haven't stumbled across anything comparable.

    Steven M. Schweda sms@antinode-org
    382 South Warwick Street (+1) 651-699-9818
    Saint Paul MN 55105-2547

  2. Re: UNIX equivalent of VMS group logicals?

    On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 14:26:33 -0700, Steven M. Schweda
    wrote:

    > From: Mike
    >
    >> We have a bunch of in-house applications written in C, running on
    >> Alpha OpenVMS V8.3. These applications use the system service sys
    >> $trnlnm to read group logicals, which contain options controlling
    >> their behaviour (e.g. logging level verbosity). The logicals can be
    >> changed on the command line by privileged users.
    >>
    >> We are looking to port some of these applications to Solaris 10, and
    >> as a UNIX novice, I am struggling to find something equivalent in
    >> Solaris to the OpenVMS group logicals. Can anyone here suggest an
    >> equivalent?

    > I doubt it. About the closest thing on UNIX might be environment
    > variables, which are process-specific, and not easily susceptible to
    > change from outside.
    >
    > I suppose that you could put the data into a file somewhere, and have
    > the application read the file when it starts. Write permission on that
    > configuration file could be restricted to your privileged users. If you
    > need to change things on the fly, then the app could re-read the config
    > file as needed.
    >
    > You might also be able to rig up some shared memory, read-only for
    > the application, read-write for a (new) control program. Or some other
    > kind of inter-process communication which could interrogate a (new)
    > server program which would act as a repository for the info.
    >
    > Many things are possible, but if you find anything as nice as logical
    > names, be sure to let us know. I don't claim exhaustive knowledge, but
    > I haven't stumbled across anything comparable.

    Named Stream Pipes. Each pipe can essentially be made to behave like a
    logical,
    the other end of the pipe is a server which has a file it reads(writes)
    which contains
    the logicals. I think this could be made to mimic the behaviour of
    logicals
    quite well, for such a use. Of course, for it to behave like a logical to
    the shell
    you would need to get into shell itself. You might also consider using
    Rexx or Regina
    instead of bash, or Korn or whatever, as it may have some tricks that will
    help out.
    It has been a long while since I last looked at it.

    --
    PL/I for OpenVMS
    www.kednos.com

+ Reply to Thread