Newbie guide to NFS between MAC and VMS - VMS

This is a discussion on Newbie guide to NFS between MAC and VMS - VMS ; VMS 8.3 with TCPIP services 5.6 on Alpha, MAC OSX 10.4 (tiger) on PowerPC. I would like to do the following: user "pastry" on a MAC having a disk mapped to a directory USRDIR:[pastry] on VMS (where USRDIR is $diskx:[users.] ...

  1. Newbie guide to NFS between MAC and VMS

    VMS 8.3 with TCPIP services 5.6 on Alpha,
    MAC OSX 10.4 (tiger) on PowerPC.

    I would like to do the following:

    user "pastry" on a MAC having a disk mapped to a directory
    USRDIR:[pastry] on VMS (where USRDIR is $diskx:[users.] )

    Could anyone take a few moments to describe to me what needs to be done
    on both side to get it to work ?

    I have not gotten it to work using the MAC's menu driven NFS. If I need
    to manually map the VMS directory to a MAC drive, what is the command
    that needs to be used, and if I wish to automate it so it is mapped at
    boot time, in which MAC file need I add that command ?

    On the VMS side, can the NFS software use a rooted logical as a device,
    or must it absolutely be an actual VMS device name ?

    (The proxies I have setup seem to work already).

  2. Re: Newbie guide to NFS between MAC and VMS

    Thanks to a kind soul who emailed me a link to some mac tech notes, I
    have tried to mount a VMS disk on the mac in a different way.

    On BRAKES (the mac at 10.0.0.20), I am user "pastry", gid=501 groups=501

    On CHAIN (the alpha at 10.0.0.11) :

    $ tcpip show proxy
    VMS User_name Type User_ID Group_ID Host_name
    SYSTEM OND 501 501 10.0.0.20

    Question: Is it correct to assume from the above that pastry on BRAKES
    trying to mount a drive on CHAIN would automatically have whatever file
    permissions that SYSTEM would have on CHAIN ? (aka: sysprv etc) ????

    --------------------------------------

    TCPIP> show map
    Dynamic Filesystem Map
    Pathname Logical File System
    /disk2 $11$DQB0:

    TCPIP> show export
    File System Host name
    /disk2/users/pastry BRAKES.ViXeNATION.CA

    Now, on BRAKES, (the mac), I try the following:

    > brakes:~ PASTRY$ sudo mount 10.0.0.11:/disk2/users/pastry/ /private/mnt
    > Password:
    > mount_nfs: can't access /disk2/users/pastry/: Permission denied

    The resulting OPCOM message on CHAIN is:
    > %%%%%%%%%%% OPCOM 8-OCT-2007 21:44:17.48 %%%%%%%%%%%
    > Message from user TCPIP$NFS on CHAIN
    > %TCPIP-E-NFS_BFSCAL, operation MOUNT_POINT failed on file /disk2/users/pastry/

    What I am trying hard to do is to get the MAC to have access to user
    "pastry"'s SYS$LOGIN directory on VMS (and whatever is below it). Am not
    interested in some container file system.

    Should the SHOW MAP and SHOW EXPORT allow this to happen ? Are both
    required to allow an NFS client to get to VMS file system ? (as opposed
    to a container file system).

    Now, the mac gets permission denied, but if it gets mapped to SYSTEM,
    shouldn't SYSTEM have access to any/all files on the VMS host ?

+ Reply to Thread