Question on backing up email accounts - Veritas

This is a discussion on Question on backing up email accounts - Veritas ; I have a question to pose. Bellsouth cancelled my internet service without authorization and now they have lost all my "on-line" emails and contact information. They are telling me that there is no way to recover this information because they ...

  1. Question on backing up email accounts

    I have a question to pose. Bellsouth cancelled my internet service without
    authorization and now they have lost all my "on-line" emails and contact
    information. They are telling me that there is no way to recover this information
    because they CANNOT backup emails nor the contacts. They said that with Microsoft
    servers you cannot back this information up. I say they are full of it and
    just don't want to allocate the resources to do so. Does what they are saying
    hold water and I am wrong or are they trying to pull one over on me? I find
    it really hard to believe that it is impossible to backup email accounts.

  2. Re: Question on backing up email accounts

    With Backup Exec you can certainly do this.

    You can back up the information store, which means you'll have to
    recover the entire information store on an Exchange server, bring it
    on-line and then get out of it what you need. This is a pretty
    time-consuming and painful process.

    If they are doing mailbox-level backups it is possible to get individual
    items out. However, if they aren't (and there are a lot of
    speed/recovery reasons not to) then recovering the entire information
    store is the only way to get stuff back.

    And indeed, if I were them I might tell you that I couldn't if my only
    option was to recover an old info store -- they'd have to at least bring
    back on-line stuff for all of their other clients as well.

    Josh

    Chris wrote:
    > I have a question to pose. Bellsouth cancelled my internet service without
    > authorization and now they have lost all my "on-line" emails and contact
    > information. They are telling me that there is no way to recover this information
    > because they CANNOT backup emails nor the contacts. They said that with Microsoft
    > servers you cannot back this information up. I say they are full of it and
    > just don't want to allocate the resources to do so. Does what they are saying
    > hold water and I am wrong or are they trying to pull one over on me? I find
    > it really hard to believe that it is impossible to backup email accounts.

+ Reply to Thread