Looking for advice in disaster preparation - Veritas

This is a discussion on Looking for advice in disaster preparation - Veritas ; Hi My boss: "if the office burns down, we should be able to be up and running in no less than 4 hours" Me: "Dammit!" This means we need an alternate location with servers in a network ready to go. ...

  1. Looking for advice in disaster preparation

    Hi

    My boss: "if the office burns down, we should be able to be up and running
    in no less than 4 hours"
    Me: "Dammit!"

    This means we need an alternate location with servers in a network ready to
    go.
    The challenge here is to find the best solution. And I am very close to be a
    rookie in this matter.

    Anyone who have done this before? One big question is how to replicate our
    network with the software to a new one, on (mostly) different type of
    hardware. Previous postings tells me this is not an easy task.

    Someone suggested using DFS and VPN, but how will that work with AD, SQL
    databases, Exchange mailboxes and so on? Another one is to set up a similar
    environment, and run a restore. Files is not a problem. But I suppose there
    are several challenges according to system state. How about the registry?
    partitions and shares?

    Our system:

    Dell PE 2600 Win2k on external MS 480 Gb RAID5, with SQL 2000, filesharing,
    Trend antivirus, Active directory, domaincontroller
    Dell PE 1600SC Win2k on external MS 480 Gb RAID5, with Exchange 2000, Active
    Directory, domain controller
    IBM X series 200 Win2k, with terminalservices, DHCP

    No name Win2k SP4 machine with backupexec 9.0 rev 4454
    Using 250 Gb USB 2.0 disks as backup devices.

    Any comments would be greatly appriciated

    Thanks
    Frederik, Norway

  2. Re: Looking for advice in disaster preparation

    This one has a follow up in
    veritas.backupexec.windowsnt.english

  3. Re: Looking for advice in disaster preparation

    Hi Frederik, with Veritas you can use many product only you have to read
    and choose and it better for you environment

    You can use for Replication in another Site Veritas Storage Replication
    One PC to another PC in a LAN or WAN (You can reply File, Folder and
    Volumes) it very easy.

    You can use IDR, Disaster Recovery for go up you Server in about 2 hours

    You can use Veritas Cluster Server, and Volume Manager and Volume
    Replicator for High Availability.

    Go to Veritas Site and Products and read a litter and you can get the
    best product or products for you environment

    Regards

    JOSE MANUEL CHACIN
    Consulting & Education Services Latin America

    DIRECT: 58.212.953.4603
    FAX: 650.527.1662

    Symantec_education@hotmail.com
    Jchacin@hotmail.com

    Symantec Corporation

    Venezuela-Colombia-Panama-Puerto Rico- Rep. Dom.-Costa Rica