Restoration/Recovery of an NT Server running a number of Services using IDR with BE 8.6 rev 3878 - Veritas

This is a discussion on Restoration/Recovery of an NT Server running a number of Services using IDR with BE 8.6 rev 3878 - Veritas ; I thought I would start up a thread on restoring a local/remote NT 4/2000 server hosting a number of vital services. The version of BE I am using is v8.6 rev 3878. In order to be prepare for the worst ...

  1. Restoration/Recovery of an NT Server running a number of Services using IDR with BE 8.6 rev 3878

    I thought I would start up a thread on restoring a local/remote NT 4/2000
    server hosting a number of vital services. The version of BE I am using is
    v8.6 rev 3878.

    In order to be prepare for the worst case I thought it sensible building
    myself a test NT4 Server with Exchange 5.5, SQL 7.0, IIS4, SMS 2.0, WINS,
    DNS and proxy server all running. That way I can observe the ease at which
    each service can be brought back up.

    The Server was setup with a 4 GB system partition. The backup was run
    remotely using a DDS2 drive from another NT 4 server.

    The server being backed up had the remote agent installed but the OFO was
    left out in this case was set up in such a way as to backup the entire c:\
    drive inclusive of a:
    FULL BACKUP OF Exchange directory store
    FULL BACKUP OF Information store

    FULL BACKUP OF All SQL database excluding file groups.

    The backup completed 100% successfully.

    The IDR restore was carried out by replacing the HD in the server. The IDR
    diskettes and NT server CD were used on the remote server a per normal.
    Custom Setup was chosen and the OS installed to a 2GB FAT partition to allow
    the DRPrep Wizard to run on reboot. After 2 more reboots the IDR Wizard
    started up and the remote media device detected after installing MS
    Networking a supply the wizard with a temp IP address on the same subnet.
    The restoration of the media set for the C drive was started and left
    running. This also completed successfully.

    On reboot the server loaded Windows NT Server. I logged on and hey presto
    the event log came up with an error or two. Exchange 5.5 had failed to
    start, along with IIS and SQL. Taking one thing at a time. I checked to see
    if the priv and pub edb were where they should be and low and behold they
    weren't so I decided to restore the exchange IS and DS from the media server
    again along with the SQL databases also missing from their folder. The
    restoration for the exchange databases went OK according to the BE log
    however the restore job ended with a failure

    Job Operation - Restore
    Unable to attach to NT4SRV_BDC.
    The item was not found.

    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

    Going back to the server I started the exchange services and hey presto they
    started. Good to know as the production servers we're running were using the
    OFO which was in effect backing up the store twice taking up space on the
    tape.

    Going back to the SQL databases, I tried restoring the databases many times
    but to no avail, there was just no connection so I decided to remove SQL and
    reinstall it with defaults. This time the restore worked but with errors.
    See below. I noticed that the log said the server had to be in the single
    user mode to do a restore however when I stopped all the SQL services and
    started SQLSERVR.exe -m as suggested BE couldn't once more connect to SQL to
    initiate the restore procedure. Strangely enough the SMS application
    appeared to be able to read the SQL database despite the errors though I'm
    not convinced by the error log. I was hoping that the restoration of SQL was
    as straight forward as the Exchange restore i.e. a mere matter of
    re-starting a service (Though I did however found it strange that the
    Exchange database restored OK when communication to it is supposedly not
    possible when its services are stopped ?), none of this scratching my head
    reinstalling SQL and trying to connect to it in single user mode. If that is
    the case there is no point buying the SQL agent, may as well schedule a file
    back using the scheduler within SQL.

    Can anyone throw some light on this matter and/or any other restoration
    tips/techniques when trying to restore a particular NT service ?

    By the way the WINS database remains unbacked up without the OFO installed.
    Installing it allows for it to be backed up. As for IIS there is a specific
    KB article on how to ensure it is backed up and what procedures you need to
    follow in order to get it to start up after a system restore.
    http://support.microsoft.com/directo...;EN-US;q240941
    http://support.microsoft.com/directo...;en-us;Q234429

    Thanks in advance

    foxpro728@hotmail.com

    Job Operation - Restore
    Remote Backup Exec components detected, version (8.60.3878.0).
    Restoring data to NT4SRV_BDC .

    An error occurred on a query to database master.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    SQL Server returned the following error message:

    RESTORE DATABASE must be used in single user mode when trying to restore the
    master database.

    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

    Restore completed on 24/12/01 at 22:45:37 .
    Restored 5 database(s)
    1 item was skipped.

    Processed 27,363,285 bytes in 47 seconds.
    Throughput rate: 33.3 MB/min
    Consistency checking SMS_SMS
    Consistency Check including Indexes.
    There was a problem running the DBCC.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    SQL Server returned the following error message:

    Table Corrupt: Object ID 386100416 (object 'Summarizer_ComponentTallys')
    does not match between 'SYSREFERENCES' and 'SYSCOLUMNS.'.

    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

    Consistency checking pubs
    Consistency Check including Indexes.
    Consistency check was completed.

    Consistency checking Northwind
    Consistency Check including Indexes.
    Consistency check was completed.

    Consistency checking msdb
    Consistency Check including Indexes.
    Consistency check was completed.

    Consistency checking model
    Consistency Check including Indexes.
    Consistency check was completed.

    Job ended: 24 December 2001 at 22:45:48
    Job completion status: Failed

  2. IDR NT4 issues

    Hi,
    I started testing the IDR feature a couple of months ago and would like to
    share my experience and hopefully get some answers to my problems.

    BENT 8,6 NT/2000
    Running on 2000 server

    Bootable CD option

    Windows 2000 restores seem fine but have problems with NT4 server.

    1) The C: is 4GB with more than 2GB of data, therefore the initial IDR partiton
    cannot accomodate the c: data.
    Veritas say I should resize the partition before the IDR windows process
    starts, i.e. setup nt using the IDR CD then boot to a 3rd party partition
    utility.
    What utility should I use? partition magic does not work for NT server.

    2) When using an intel pro server adapter the network card cannot be found
    or installed, this is due to it not being compatible with NT SP1 i think.
    We have to install an old 3com 3c950 to get the networking up and then reinstall
    the Intel once restore is complete.
    Any thoughts? can we make an IDR CD using SP6 files? which ones should we
    copy to the CD, overwrite all the NT files on the IDR CD? not tried yet but
    will have a go.

    3) If the C: partition has to be 4GB to accomodate the restore data and is
    therefore NTFS. How can I get the media server to talk to the server to
    be restored? it works fine with FAT but I get Error Item cannot be found
    when using NTFS. Could I use the partition utility to convert the inital
    2GB fat IDR NT install to 4GB Fat32? then convert to NTFS after restore.

    Any help appreciated and if you want to talk through some ideas about this
    thankless task then feel free to email me on:

    dslade@moog.co.uk

    regards

    Duncan

  3. Re: IDR NT4 issues

    Duncan,
    Your problems need not be problems........
    1) if you format the c: drive as NTFS you can use a 4096MB partition (4GB) -
    problem 1 solved.
    2) IntelPro 100 drivers - When you create a bootable CD, the image of NT
    that is on it, ist the same SP level as the machine you created it from.
    Ie. when you boot into IDR, is is loading Nt Sp6a files if SP 6a was loaded
    onto the server in the first place. Therefore, this is not an
    incompatability issue. Moreover, all of my servers have IntelPro 100 cards
    and IDR works great.
    3) Your error, is most likely access permission related. make sure that the
    IDR server is using an account that the media server can verify against a
    DC.

    Hope the above help.
    OJ

    "Duncan Slade" wrote in message

    > Hi,
    > I started testing the IDR feature a couple of months ago and would like to
    > share my experience and hopefully get some answers to my problems.
    >
    > BENT 8,6 NT/2000
    > Running on 2000 server
    >
    > Bootable CD option
    >
    > Windows 2000 restores seem fine but have problems with NT4 server.
    >
    > 1) The C: is 4GB with more than 2GB of data, therefore the initial IDR

    partiton
    > cannot accomodate the c: data.
    > Veritas say I should resize the partition before the IDR windows process
    > starts, i.e. setup nt using the IDR CD then boot to a 3rd party partition
    > utility.
    > What utility should I use? partition magic does not work for NT server.
    >
    > 2) When using an intel pro server adapter the network card cannot be found
    > or installed, this is due to it not being compatible with NT SP1 i think.
    > We have to install an old 3com 3c950 to get the networking up and then

    reinstall
    > the Intel once restore is complete.
    > Any thoughts? can we make an IDR CD using SP6 files? which ones should we
    > copy to the CD, overwrite all the NT files on the IDR CD? not tried yet

    but
    > will have a go.
    >
    > 3) If the C: partition has to be 4GB to accomodate the restore data and is
    > therefore NTFS. How can I get the media server to talk to the server to
    > be restored? it works fine with FAT but I get Error Item cannot be found
    > when using NTFS. Could I use the partition utility to convert the inital
    > 2GB fat IDR NT install to 4GB Fat32? then convert to NTFS after restore.
    >
    > Any help appreciated and if you want to talk through some ideas about this
    > thankless task then feel free to email me on:
    >
    > dslade@moog.co.uk
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Duncan

  4. Re: IDR NT4 issues

    Hi OJ,
    Thanks for the advice,
    I had a problem with recovering a server to different hardware, SCSI disks
    and network cards.
    The scsi problem was fixed by using the F6 workaround mentioned in this forum
    somewhere and i could then create a 4gb NTFS partition as you suggested.

    Still no joy with the network card, I have the floppy disk created from the
    Intel pro server adapter Driver CD and when prompted after manual networking
    on the IDR screen I click have disk and select the a: drive containing my
    new drivers and get...

    error
    either an error happened during network component install or you have requested
    to cancel network setup.....

    Have you successfully used IDR on a server with a intel card different to
    the server that the IDR cd was created from, if so, do you have a step by
    step guide?

    More soon on the access problems

    Thanks again
    Duncan

  5. Re: IDR NT4 issues

    "Duncan Slade" wrote:

    >Hi OJ,
    >Thanks for the advice,
    >I had a problem with recovering a server to different hardware, SCSI disks
    >and network cards.
    >The scsi problem was fixed by using the F6 workaround mentioned in this

    forum
    >somewhere and i could then create a 4gb NTFS partition as you suggested.
    >
    >Still no joy with the network card, I have the floppy disk created from

    the
    >Intel pro server adapter Driver CD and when prompted after manual networking
    >on the IDR screen I click have disk and select the a: drive containing my
    >new drivers and get...
    >
    >error
    >either an error happened during network component install or you have requested
    >to cancel network setup.....
    >
    >Have you successfully used IDR on a server with a intel card different to
    >the server that the IDR cd was created from, if so, do you have a step by
    >step guide?
    >
    >More soon on the access problems
    >
    >Thanks again
    >Duncan

    I've been having the exact same problems! The drivers that I have are fine
    when I do a normal install which leads me to believe that there's a bug with
    the software.

+ Reply to Thread