Disaster Recovery - Veritas

This is a discussion on Disaster Recovery - Veritas ; We are running Windows NT Server 4.0, SQL 7.0, and IIS 4.0. We want to prepare a disaster recovery. We used NT Backup to backup (including local registry) and restore. However, we cannot open SQL after the restore. Question: Can ...

  1. Disaster Recovery

    We are running Windows NT Server 4.0, SQL 7.0, and IIS 4.0. We want
    to prepare a disaster recovery. We used NT Backup to backup (including
    local registry) and restore. However, we cannot open SQL after the restore.
    Question: Can Veritas Backup software backup and restore the NT operating
    system, SQL, and IIS in case of disaster? We do not want to install NT operating
    system, SQL, and IIS software manually.

    Thanks.

    Jill

  2. Re: Disaster Recovery

    I don't have experience with SQL: we have Oracle. With Oracle you have to
    close the database. We use a Freeware tool JIT Scheduler (Like Winat) to
    schedule scripts to shutdown Oracle. It's a script with some Oracle
    executables which close the database carefully ands stops several nt
    services. I guess there are scripts for SQL too.

    It's neccesary to close your database because when you backup online
    (database open) not everything is backupped like the database structure.
    This is the most safe way to make every night a recoverable backup. For a
    good online backup you need special agents, I don't know if they exists for
    Backup Exec. You still need a backup of a closed database but then you can
    decide too make this one once a week.

    "Jill Johnson" wrote in message

    > We are running Windows NT Server 4.0, SQL 7.0, and IIS 4.0. We want
    > to prepare a disaster recovery. We used NT Backup to backup (including
    > local registry) and restore. However, we cannot open SQL after the

    restore.
    > Question: Can Veritas Backup software backup and restore the NT operating
    > system, SQL, and IIS in case of disaster? We do not want to install NT

    operating
    > system, SQL, and IIS software manually.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Jill

  3. Re: Disaster Recovery

    With Veritas Agents for SQL, Veritas IDR and Veritas OTM installed, you can
    backup/restore OS, SQL & IIS.

    --
    With Regards,
    Alagappan SL,

    > We are running Windows NT Server 4.0, SQL 7.0, and IIS 4.0. We want
    > to prepare a disaster recovery. We used NT Backup to backup (including
    > local registry) and restore. However, we cannot open SQL after the

    restore.
    > Question: Can Veritas Backup software backup and restore the NT operating
    > system, SQL, and IIS in case of disaster? We do not want to install NT

    operating
    > system, SQL, and IIS software manually.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Jill