IDR - useful for our needs? - Veritas

This is a discussion on IDR - useful for our needs? - Veritas ; Hi Folks, sorry for the double post in veritas.backupexec.windowsnt.english, but I wanted to make sure everybody reads it. This newsgroup is not that busy! We are setting up a new Win2k Domain (3 Servers). We are neither running Exchange nor ...

  1. IDR - useful for our needs?

    Hi Folks,

    sorry for the double post in veritas.backupexec.windowsnt.english, but I
    wanted to make sure everybody reads it. This newsgroup is not that busy!

    We are setting up a new Win2k Domain (3 Servers).
    We are neither running Exchange nor IIS nor database applications, we
    rather run fileservices and DHCP/DNS.
    We will use BEX 8.5 for data backup.

    On our old NT 4.0 systems, we use Symantec Ghost for disaster recovery,
    but for that purpose we have to shut down the servers.

    When using Ghost for the Win2k servers, we ran into problems in the
    recovery concerning the active directory services.
    Win 2k seems to be more sensible to unsynchronized user databases.

    We have now thought about buying the IDR option to do disaster backups.

    Now my questions are:

    - Is BEX IDR able to cope with the problems mentioned above?

    - Does BEX IDR work properly without having to shut down the system or
    disable services?

    - Is a remote restore over the network possible (e.g. boot-disk with
    network drivers?)

    - How reliable does the IDR restore work? When looking at the posts in
    this newsgroup, I'm not really sure that IDR is a good and reliable
    solution.

    Any feedback is much appreciated.

    Thanks, philipp

  2. Re: IDR - useful for our needs?

    Philipp,

    I can help you with a few of your questions, sorry I can't answer them all
    I have not experienced them.

    - Does BEX IDR work properly without having to shut down the system or disable
    services?

    If you mean the creation of your IDR set (disks, tape, CD) then its done
    through a wizard from the application with no interference to anyone or the
    server.

    - Is a remote restore over the network possible (e.g. boot-disk with network
    drivers?)

    This I haven't tried, but I did look in the manual. We use remote backup
    agents and IDR that connect to a backup server, and if they are installed
    then it says it can be done.

    Remember that like all things IT, you must do exactly what the manuals say,
    and keep multiple copies of everything. I'm not saying that Veritas are perfect
    (or any software company for that matter), but if you don't do exactly as
    told things will always go wrong!

    Sorry I couldn't be more help.

    Shaun

    Philipp Wertz wrote:
    >Hi Folks,
    >

    >sorry for the double post in veritas.backupexec.windowsnt.english, but I
    >wanted to make sure everybody reads it. This newsgroup is not that busy!
    >
    >We are setting up a new Win2k Domain (3 Servers).
    >We are neither running Exchange nor IIS nor database applications, we
    >rather run fileservices and DHCP/DNS.
    >We will use BEX 8.5 for data backup.
    >
    >On our old NT 4.0 systems, we use Symantec Ghost for disaster recovery,
    >but for that purpose we have to shut down the servers.
    >
    >When using Ghost for the Win2k servers, we ran into problems in the
    >recovery concerning the active directory services.
    >Win 2k seems to be more sensible to unsynchronized user databases.
    >
    >We have now thought about buying the IDR option to do disaster backups.
    >
    >Now my questions are:
    >
    >- Is BEX IDR able to cope with the problems mentioned above?
    >
    >- Does BEX IDR work properly without having to shut down the system or
    > disable services?
    >
    >- Is a remote restore over the network possible (e.g. boot-disk with
    > network drivers?)
    >
    >- How reliable does the IDR restore work? When looking at the posts in
    > this newsgroup, I'm not really sure that IDR is a good and reliable
    > solution.
    >

    >Any feedback is much appreciated.
    >

    >Thanks, philipp

+ Reply to Thread