Restore system on to different hardware - Veritas

This is a discussion on Restore system on to different hardware - Veritas ; I am currently doing some disaster recovery testing using IDR. I have tried to recover a backup of a Windows NT server version 4, onto a server that has different hardware. When the system boots up i get the following ...

  1. Restore system on to different hardware

    I am currently doing some disaster recovery testing using IDR. I have tried
    to recover a backup of a Windows NT server version 4, onto a server that
    has different hardware. When the system boots up i get the following error
    message. HAL MP_PTR invalid checksum HAL MPS MP structure not found HAL:
    No MPS table found. The system then halts. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Cheers Pete

  2. Re: Restore system on to different hardware

    install NT4 on an identical machine and install the same SP. The copy that
    HAL.DLL to a floppy, and then boot the recovery machine to DOS. Delete the
    restored HAL.DLL and replace it with the one on the floppy. IF you need
    NTFSDOS you can get that from sysinternals.
    Now reboot and it shoud come up.
    Now, you might get other problems, since restoring to different HW is not a
    supported solution. It depends on how different it is.
    You should not use IDR to restore to different HW, it was never meant for
    that. If you need to do so, you have to do a manual recovery, ie install OS
    and restore deselcting sys files in system32\config.
    "Peter Lindley" wrote in message

    > I am currently doing some disaster recovery testing using IDR. I have

    tried
    > to recover a backup of a Windows NT server version 4, onto a server that
    > has different hardware. When the system boots up i get the following error
    > message. HAL MP_PTR invalid checksum HAL MPS MP structure not found HAL:
    > No MPS table found. The system then halts. Any help would be much

    appreciated.
    > Cheers Pete

  3. Re: Restore system on to different hardware

    There is a technet note (Q139822) on how to restore to different hardware.
    This only works on NT4 though.

  4. Re: Restore system on to different hardware

    Any chance of putting a link to the technote (Q139822) as iam new to this
    site and iam struggleing.
    many thanks in advance

    Simon Dean
    "mark_snow" wrote:

    >There is a technet note (Q139822) on how to restore to different hardware.
    >This only works on NT4 though.

  5. Re: Restore system on to different hardware

    "mark_snow" wrote:

    >There is a technet note (Q139822) on how to restore to different hardware.
    >This only works on NT4 though.

  6. Re: Restore system on to different hardware

    http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US;Q139822&

    Although it didn't work for me.....

    "Simon Dean" wrote:

    >Any chance of putting a link to the technote (Q139822) as iam new to this
    >site and iam struggleing.
    >many thanks in advance
    >
    >Simon Dean
    >"mark_snow" wrote:
    >>
    >>There is a technet note (Q139822) on how to restore to different hardware.
    >>This only works on NT4 though.

+ Reply to Thread