NDS Disaster Recovery does not work - Veritas

This is a discussion on NDS Disaster Recovery does not work - Veritas ; Hi all, I tried Disaster Recovery on my Netware 4.11 Server with Service Pack 8a and BE 8.5 with DR Option. When i restore my NDS there was an error called: # # Mon Oct 30 15:28:57 2000 # Restoring ...

  1. NDS Disaster Recovery does not work

    Hi all,

    I tried Disaster Recovery on my Netware 4.11 Server with Service Pack 8a and
    BE 8.5 with DR Option.
    When i restore my NDS there was an error called:

    #
    # Mon Oct 30 15:28:57 2000
    #
    Restoring NetWare Partition Definition ...
    Creating NetWare Partition on Hard Disk #1 ...
    1. Start = 9 End = 84 Size = 302MB Big DOS; OS/2; Win95 Partition
    3. Start = 85 End = 502 Size = 1665MB *NetWare*
    Restoring NetWare Volume Definition ...
    --> "SYS"
    --> "VOL1"
    Unable to create Directory Service Context!
    #
    # Mon Oct 30 16:06:12 2000
    #

    Any ideas.

    Thanks

    Richard

  2. Re: NDS Disaster Recovery does not work

    We are having the exact same error running Netware 5.1 sp1 and Backup Exec
    8.5 with patch installed. We are using the bootable CD option, is this the
    problem? Looking forward to a resolution!!

    Thanks,
    Tom

  3. Re: NDS Disaster Recovery does not work

    No not the bootable CD option is the problem, i tried the disk option and
    there was the same problem.

    thanks

    Richard

  4. Re: NDS Disaster Recovery does not work

    Hi Tom,

    i looked for an update or patch at veritas, there was nothing, so i tried to
    solve this problem without any support.
    The problem was, that the BE IDR could not login to nds. The exact error was
    listed after i unload and load ds.nlm at the console.
    Error -473. Now at support.novell.com there is an TID taht says, there are
    not all UNI-CODE table on the Server.

    So i copy manually all the NLS directorys from SYSTEM, PUBLIC and LOGIN and
    i can login to the server.

    Now the next step was to edit the file NETFILES.INI and add the NLS
    directorys at the end of this file.

    That works fine.

    Richard

    "Tom Camp" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > We are having the exact same error running Netware 5.1 sp1 and Backup Exec
    > 8.5 with patch installed. We are using the bootable CD option, is this the
    > problem? Looking forward to a resolution!!
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Tom

  5. Re: NDS Disaster Recovery does not work

    Richard,

    As a CNE, I can tell you the best way to recover NDS on a 4.11 server is
    from a R/W replica on another server. Novell does recommend at least 3 R/W
    replicas. I would never have a network with less than 1 R/W. I have never
    been able to restore NDS from a tape even with DR. I have tried both ArcserveIT
    and Backup Exec. I have been able to get most of the objects to restore.
    However, some do not. I built a 5-user Novell Server to act as a R/W in
    case this problem ever happened.

    You might want to try recreating the context and NDS structure first and
    then restoring over the top.

    "Richard Orth" wrote:
    >Hi all,
    >
    >I tried Disaster Recovery on my Netware 4.11 Server with Service Pack 8a

    and
    >BE 8.5 with DR Option.
    >When i restore my NDS there was an error called:
    >
    >#
    ># Mon Oct 30 15:28:57 2000
    >#
    >Restoring NetWare Partition Definition ...
    >Creating NetWare Partition on Hard Disk #1 ...
    >1. Start = 9 End = 84 Size = 302MB Big DOS; OS/2; Win95 Partition
    >3. Start = 85 End = 502 Size = 1665MB *NetWare*
    >Restoring NetWare Volume Definition ...
    >--> "SYS"
    >--> "VOL1"
    >Unable to create Directory Service Context!
    >#
    ># Mon Oct 30 16:06:12 2000
    >#
    >

    >Any ideas.