Select 1 Drive - Veritas

This is a discussion on Select 1 Drive - Veritas ; Can you select only one drive to back up? I have two hard drives and only keep data files on one, and keep them backed up separate. If my main drive was to die and you have two drives backed ...

  1. Select 1 Drive

    Can you select only one drive to back up? I have two hard drives and
    only keep data files on one, and keep them backed up separate. If my
    main drive was to die
    and you have two drives backed up will it reinstall on one drive?

    Thanks

    Jerry
    jaj4@netscape.net

  2. Re: Select 1 Drive

    Jerry,
    You can restore only what you want to restore The initial IDR
    restoration only creates enough of an environment to allow you to do the
    remainder of the restore from Backup Exec.
    Ray

    Jerry Johnson wrote:

    > Can you select only one drive to back up? I have two hard drives and
    > only keep data files on one, and keep them backed up separate. If my
    > main drive was to die
    > and you have two drives backed up will it reinstall on one drive?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Jerry
    > jaj4@netscape.net

  3. Re: Select 1 Drive

    You mean if I do a complete backup, of which I have no options as to which
    drive I back up, when I restore I can choose just what I want to restore? I
    only have the
    disaster recovery, I don't have the exec.
    Thanks

    srbmore@attglobal.net wrote:

    > Jerry,
    > You can restore only what you want to restore The initial IDR
    > restoration only creates enough of an environment to allow you to do the
    > remainder of the restore from Backup Exec.
    > Ray
    >
    > Jerry Johnson wrote:
    >
    > > Can you select only one drive to back up? I have two hard drives and
    > > only keep data files on one, and keep them backed up separate. If my
    > > main drive was to die
    > > and you have two drives backed up will it reinstall on one drive?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Jerry
    > > jaj4@netscape.net

  4. Re: Select 1 Drive

    Jerry,
    From what I understand, the IDR only gets your server to a position where
    you can restore from tape,
    and even that (based on my experience with it) is not necessarily a 1,2,3
    operation; especially if you are
    going to two dissimilar servers (different SCSI adapters, drives, NIC's,
    etc...). I haven't installed only the
    IDR (didn't know you could do that; I thought "Option" meant you had to have the
    base code (Backup
    Exec) in order to use the option). If I'm wrong about this, please let me know,
    but I really think you need
    the base Backup Exec ,or you won't be able to restore anything.
    Ray

    Jerry Johnson wrote:

    > You mean if I do a complete backup, of which I have no options as to which
    > drive I back up, when I restore I can choose just what I want to restore? I
    > only have the
    > disaster recovery, I don't have the exec.
    > Thanks
    >
    > srbmore@attglobal.net wrote:
    >
    > > Jerry,
    > > You can restore only what you want to restore The initial IDR
    > > restoration only creates enough of an environment to allow you to do the
    > > remainder of the restore from Backup Exec.
    > > Ray
    > >
    > > Jerry Johnson wrote:
    > >
    > > > Can you select only one drive to back up? I have two hard drives and
    > > > only keep data files on one, and keep them backed up separate. If my
    > > > main drive was to die
    > > > and you have two drives backed up will it reinstall on one drive?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks
    > > >
    > > > Jerry
    > > > jaj4@netscape.net

  5. Re: Select 1 Drive

    The one bad think I have found out is when you buy a program like this with no help
    guide you run into problems, as few people read this news group. I have backed up my
    HD twice since I purchased this program (to CD-R) and both times I have run test and
    it reboots and checks all disks (with option to test or restore) and everything said
    it was OK. If I had any courage I could try it and see but I think I'll wait till
    it's needed. Mean time if you should find out if Back upexec is need , please feel
    free to let me know, as I will continue to search also.
    Thanks for your input.

    srbmore@attglobal.net wrote:

    > Jerry,
    > From what I understand, the IDR only gets your server to a position where
    > you can restore from tape,
    > and even that (based on my experience with it) is not necessarily a 1,2,3
    > operation; especially if you are
    > going to two dissimilar servers (different SCSI adapters, drives, NIC's,
    > etc...). I haven't installed only the
    > IDR (didn't know you could do that; I thought "Option" meant you had to have the
    > base code (Backup
    > Exec) in order to use the option). If I'm wrong about this, please let me know,
    > but I really think you need
    > the base Backup Exec ,or you won't be able to restore anything.
    > Ray
    >
    > Jerry Johnson wrote:
    >
    > > You mean if I do a complete backup, of which I have no options as to which
    > > drive I back up, when I restore I can choose just what I want to restore? I
    > > only have the
    > > disaster recovery, I don't have the exec.
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > srbmore@attglobal.net wrote:
    > >
    > > > Jerry,
    > > > You can restore only what you want to restore The initial IDR
    > > > restoration only creates enough of an environment to allow you to do the
    > > > remainder of the restore from Backup Exec.
    > > > Ray

  6. Re: Select 1 Drive

    The following response is from the Veritas helpdesk:
    "The Desktop group
    supports a stand alone product called Disaster Recovery that allows a full
    system backup and restore via boot disks and the backup media. You do need
    the NT/2000" (or Netware) " version of Backup Exec and the IDR client to perform
    Disaster
    Recovery with the server product."

    Ray

+ Reply to Thread