Running IDR on Hardware RAID 5 environment - Veritas

This is a discussion on Running IDR on Hardware RAID 5 environment - Veritas ; Has anyone tried to simulate IDR on NT 4.0 server with Hardware RAID 5 environment? I wanna do this scenario: If I pull out all 3 original hardisks which have already datas, softwares in there, and I put 3 spare ...

  1. Running IDR on Hardware RAID 5 environment

    Has anyone tried to simulate IDR on NT 4.0 server with Hardware RAID 5
    environment?

    I wanna do this scenario:
    If I pull out all 3 original hardisks which have already datas, softwares in
    there, and I put 3 spare hardisks to do the simulation. (I assume the RAID
    Card will change the logical volume config or SCSI ID or disk label, etc).
    Then once I finish with the simulation, and to put the original disks back,
    will it backup as normal?

    What my concern is:
    will the RAID card recognise the original settings and boot as normal?

    Thanks.
    Andy

  2. Re: Running IDR on Hardware RAID 5 environment

    Andy,

    Disks in a Raid 5 config are configured as one large logical drive. If the
    3 spare drives have been initialized as a logical drive previously with the
    same controller, then they will work fine. If not, you will need to install
    them, configure the RAID and initialize the array. Hope this helps.

    Kevin

    "andy" wrote:
    >Has anyone tried to simulate IDR on NT 4.0 server with Hardware RAID 5
    >environment?
    >
    >I wanna do this scenario:
    >If I pull out all 3 original hardisks which have already datas, softwares

    in
    >there, and I put 3 spare hardisks to do the simulation. (I assume the RAID
    >Card will change the logical volume config or SCSI ID or disk label, etc).
    >Then once I finish with the simulation, and to put the original disks back,
    >will it backup as normal?
    >
    >What my concern is:
    >will the RAID card recognise the original settings and boot as normal?
    >
    >Thanks.
    >Andy

+ Reply to Thread