IDR on different machine - Veritas

This is a discussion on IDR on different machine - Veritas ; Current Configuration of the machine. Dell PowerEdge 4200,CPU: - Pentium pro 200 MHz,Memory: - 256 MB HDD:- 2 X 4 GB, 1X 9 GB Partitions:- C: - 1024-MB - FAT --- Boot drives D: - 2047-MB - NTFS E: - ...

  1. IDR on different machine

    Current Configuration of the machine.
    Dell PowerEdge 4200,CPU: - Pentium pro 200 MHz,Memory: - 256 MB
    HDD:- 2 X 4 GB, 1X 9 GB
    Partitions:-
    C: - 1024-MB - FAT --- Boot drives
    D: - 2047-MB - NTFS
    E: - 2047-MB - NTFS
    F: - 1020-MB - NTFS ---System files (WinNT directory)
    G: - 2047-MB - NTFS
    H: - 4354-MB - NTFS
    I: - 4361-MB - NTFS
    HP 4/8 GB tape drive.
    All other drives have Data files.
    The above server is PDC, Backup Exec server is also installed on same server.
    New Configuration of the machine.
    IBM Netfinity 5500,CPU:- Xeon 500MHz,Memory: - 512 MB
    HDD: - 4X 9 GB,With RAID 5 option
    Partitions: -
    (Logical drives)
    C: - 1100 MB
    D: - 4000 MB
    E: - 3000 MB
    F: - 2000 MB
    G: - 4000 MB
    H: - 6000 MB
    I: - 6010 MB
    HP Tape drive
    After taking complete Backup of Current machine prepared IDR diskettes.
    By using IBM server CD configured Raid & logical drive & started the installation
    by using IDR diskettes.
    After restoring the data from the tape onto new machine NT give blue screen
    with the stop error 0x0000007B.
    Pl. guides us on issues as follows.
    Does IDR option works with different model of machine? (Like above scenario)
    When its copies raid controller drivers to the system partition? Or
    After restoring system partition when it updates current raid controller
    drivers?

  2. Re: IDR on different machine

    We have had a similar problem. Went from a Dell Poweredge with one version
    of a RAID controller, to another Dell Poweredge with a different RAID controller.
    Went though IDR install, put in correct RAID Drivers for new machine. All
    installed OK, but on Re-boot, dreaded Blue screen.
    This seems to sugguest that RAID drivers are overwritten when Tape with Backup
    on, is reloaded. Is this to do with the registry
    being overwritten with one from tape.

    Workround

    Use Stanadard NT Diskettes & reload NT, when told that NT is already installed.
    Take option to Upgrade installed version.
    This puts RAID drivers in correct place. Machine should then re-boot OK.
    This puts machine back to SP1 - Any Video drivers, etc will need to be reloaded
    & the Service Packs reapplyed.

    When we tried this, it kept the Shares, User profiles, etc from the disaster
    recover reload.

    Hope this helps.

    "shreekar" wrote:

    >Current Configuration of the machine.
    >Dell PowerEdge 4200,CPU: - Pentium pro 200 MHz,Memory: - 256 MB
    >HDD:- 2 X 4 GB, 1X 9 GB
    >Partitions:-
    >C: - 1024-MB - FAT --- Boot drives
    >D: - 2047-MB - NTFS
    >E: - 2047-MB - NTFS
    >F: - 1020-MB - NTFS ---System files (WinNT directory)
    >G: - 2047-MB - NTFS
    >H: - 4354-MB - NTFS
    >I: - 4361-MB - NTFS
    >HP 4/8 GB tape drive.
    >All other drives have Data files.
    >The above server is PDC, Backup Exec server is also installed on same server.
    >New Configuration of the machine.
    >IBM Netfinity 5500,CPU:- Xeon 500MHz,Memory: - 512 MB
    >HDD: - 4X 9 GB,With RAID 5 option
    >Partitions: -
    >(Logical drives)
    >C: - 1100 MB
    >D: - 4000 MB
    >E: - 3000 MB
    >F: - 2000 MB
    >G: - 4000 MB
    >H: - 6000 MB
    >I: - 6010 MB
    >HP Tape drive
    >After taking complete Backup of Current machine prepared IDR diskettes.
    >By using IBM server CD configured Raid & logical drive & started the installation
    >by using IDR diskettes.
    >After restoring the data from the tape onto new machine NT give blue screen
    >with the stop error 0x0000007B.
    >Pl. guides us on issues as follows.
    >Does IDR option works with different model of machine? (Like above scenario)
    >When its copies raid controller drivers to the system partition? Or
    >After restoring system partition when it updates current raid controller
    >drivers?

+ Reply to Thread